Sunday, May 23, 2021

What am I even thinking?

 Well.

This may be a journal more than anything else. I read so much and have so many ideas and experiments about gaming, that I've started this blog just to help me track some of them. There may be lists of books, bad photographs, worse music videos, battle reports, links to free rulesets, and random thoughts. Some wargaming, some roleplaying, some reading, a bit of modeling. Here goes nothing.

My latest purchase - received last night from On Military Matters - is a handful of books and magazines:

- Border Raid: Pillage in Procrastor, by Charles S. Grant. Partly because I like The War Game rules on which it's based (though I haven't played them yet), partly because it's a handful of small-scale scenarios that match my collection.

- Scenarios for the War of 1812, by Stuart Asquith. Mostly because it has a North Point scenario, and I've been experimenting with my own. Any of the twelve scenarios in the book might work with the kids at work for a "patriotic" program during the summer.

- Partizan Press Guide to Solo Wargaming, revised, also by Asquith. Because I'm stuck with solo gaming at the moment. Not much in it I don't already know, but yet more scenarios.

- Wargamer Number 59, because it includes a board wargame for Keren 1941 in Ethiopia. I rarely play hex-and-counter games, but I'm interested in "colonial" warfare, and one of my favorite soldier-writers, Bill Slim, wrote engagingly about this campaign. Icing on the cake is an article on Malaya and Burma, a related interest.

- Three random issues of Wargamer's Digest, just to check it out. Coincidentally, one is the exact issue whose image first interested me in the magazine, spotted on Quora:


So far I've finished Border Raid and Solo Wargaming, and am well into the 1812 book. Others include The Myth of the Great War, by John Mosier (a reread); its philosophical opposite Why the Germans Lose at War, by Kenneth Macksey (partway thru); and the first book of Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl series. That last is because I'm trying to become more familiar with the most popular children's series that I haven't read yet, but the mix of high-intensity spy action and magical fairies is giving me ideas for a skirmish...

18 comments:

  1. Great to have another wargaming blog in the mix. All the best with projects various. I will follow with interest.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James, very kind of you! My first try at something like this. I'm very much inspired by other blogs I've read, so there will be a list of my favorites once I figure out how to "lay out" this site properly.

      Delete
  2. Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging! I’m intrigued by the statement about gaming for employment, as well as fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a children's librarian, and game for work as well as pleasure. Posts to come as the pandemic lifts and I'm allowed to run them.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your blogging debut! Mark Man of TIN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Now all I have to figure out is how to make it look more like a blog...

      Delete
    2. There are no rules, you can make it what you want.
      Honoured to be in your "blogs I follow" list ...
      Celia Rees' recent Glass Town Wars YA book (a rewriting of the Bronte ImagiNations) has an Eoin Colfer feel to it in parts.

      Delete
    3. I've been looking for Glass Town Wars, haven't gotten hold of it yet.

      Delete
  4. Welcome to Blogdom! I look forward to reading more !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Curious to know how you got your own blog to look the way it does?

      Delete
    2. Jennifer, welcome to blogging! I think this is a great outlet and record keeping resource for your numerous projects and ideas. I look forward to seeing what you post here.

      PS: In the late 1970’s I picked up my very first “Wargamer’s Digest” and that add in the back for Jorge’s club ((MDTWA) Miami-Dade Tactical Wargaming Assoc is what got me hooked into this big mess! Who’d of thought that several of us would still be gaming together 40+ years later .... HUZZAH

      Delete
    3. Thanks! I look forward to running some of this stuff with you guys... though it's a touch terrifying to be GMing for such veterans!

      Delete
  5. Welcome to the world of blogging. I'm liking what I'm seeing so far!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1812 is one of those wars that I would really like to wargame but is unlikely to get played unless I find a collection in a bring and buy. Good start to the blog by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you like it.

      The 1812 book is colorful and appealing. Prompted by Peter Dennis's suggestion, I've got a small batch of his Peninsular War Paperboys made up, with the Americans proxied by Portuguese. Not perfect, but workable at the 20mm scale I printed them. I'm tempted by the 18mm Wofuns. I solo-playtested a North Point scenario with them, with the intention of running it before a patriotic holiday at work (as North Point was where the British army was while the navy was bombarding the Star-Spangled Banner). It got scuttled by Covid, but I still have the figures, very easy to store!

      Delete
  7. Wofun seems a good way to get into a new period. The only ones that I have seen are the WoR that John Ewing has collected which you can see in his posts on the ToR facebook page. I am sure that they will work just as well in other periods.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They're a generous and fast-shipping company, very nice to order from, and not all that expensive given what you get. The Paperboys books that provide much of their repertoire are even cheaper, and often on sale at Helion, so I've got all the Helion-published ones. When I try Test of Resolve, it'll be with them.

    ReplyDelete