Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Vicissitudes of a hobby butterfly

I've been a bumbling little bee this last week, doing bits and pieces, experimenting, but not playing or making much progress on any single project.

Starting to sort my games, as part of a housecleaning effort. A box's worth of conventional board games that should probably go to work with me, a selection of previously-scattered wargaming and roleplaying books and magazines, a box/folder to keep the scores of pages I've printed out...

Adding to my small medieval project - only a handful of bases, but I'm quite proud of myself for making a whole extra base out of "extra" figures, which are intended to be stuck between ranks for a more irregular look. The way they are presented on the page makes it easy to line them up in the same orientation as on a regular base. Since one of the archers has a standard pole, this becomes a command base of sorts.

Reading another simple RPG - Spotted via my blogroll, no less. The ability to keep track of my favorites is a reason for this site in itself. The game even has some solo tips, and it fits on a single page: Play All the Books

Trying new Paperboys 18mm ACW - Challenging owing to having to glue paper edge-on to the base. My coworkers are flabbergasted that I can cut these so neatly, but it's really not that hard. I have the urge to run First Bull Run on its 160th anniversary, but I doubt they'll let me!


Coloring the edges of Wofun figures - Looks okay. I used a standard brown Sharpie on this WoSS French sergeant. Will try entire bases next.


Demoing Catch the Moon, a Jenga-like dexterity game, at work. Both kids and parents seem to enjoy it. Of course my free-association skill led me to notice that some of these ladders are in scale for 54mm figures to assault something...


Watching five episodes of Sharpe - ... which could easily lead to a skirmish-scale Forlorn Hope scenario. And speaking of Napoleonics...

Basing 1/72 plastics - After a little frustration and indecision, I decided to try basing my 20mm plastics on 15mm MDF bases that came as extra with my last Wofun purchase. Here's the first unit - Napoleonic British militia.

Reading Henry Hyde's Wargaming Compendium - Did you know the Hoopla Digital library app has wargaming ebooks? Check it out! They have seemingly everything by Pen & Sword.

2 comments:

  1. You have many projects on the go. The ACW figures look especially fab. Hoopla Digital? Never heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's available to most public libraries in the US and Canada. A free app that you can use to check out ebooks with your library card and read or listen to them on a tablet or PC.

      Delete