The first wargaming book I read was Charge! or How to Play Wargames, by Peter Young and JP Lawford. One of the charming elements of this introduction to 18th-century wargaming is the willingness of its authors to invent their own units and countries, offering the chance to tell unique stories and use whatever figures or paint schemes appeal most.
I've bought several collections of Wofun's unique plexiglass soldiers; presently I'm messing about with some of their conversions of Peter Dennis' delightful Paperboys. Which I have the books for and COULD just cut out, but the Wofun versions are just hefty enough not to go flying when my cats jump on the table. They are very slightly fragile, but so long as they're held from the side there's no trouble; snapping them out of their sheets and into their bases is the tricky part. They will be my home-game figures; paper and "green army man" plastics will remain my go-to at work, as they're disposable and can be taken home by kids.
A lot of people like to dull the edges with Games Workshop's Agrax Earthshade ink. I may do that next time I get to a store, but for now I like the toylike look of these figures.
I'm in the process of organizing them. Most packs come in sets of four or five bases, which for the Paperboys means 32 or 40 infantry, or 24 or 30 cavalry. There are four or six gunners to a gun. This will work for the "beginners' version" of Charge!.
In addition to the entire set of '45 figures (one unit of each available), I bought enough extras for two more regiments of Highlanders, enough extra "Irish Picquets" to make three differently-faced regiments, and a starter pack of Spanish Succession figures. Though I could easily run a 1715 'Rising action with the Highlanders and WoSS Brits, I mostly bought the figures for French-on-British gaming in the vein of Charge! and The War Game. The uniforms are mainly different in their length, and, if you look closely, their wigs. At 18mm they mix together alright, so I'm declaring this a "1730s" pair of Imagi-nation armies.
On the Franco-Scots side we have:
and one of two Lowland musketeer regiments and a "light skirmish" unit.
A French brigade, of Navarre ('45), Bourbon and Saillant (WoSS) regiments.
For the Brits/Hanoverians:
My cat Lex appears in a few of these pics. She's a gamer kitty, who steals unattended dice. She appears to have claimed the soft, comfy Cigar Box mat...
Excellent! I can almost hear the strains of ‘Lilibulero’.
ReplyDeleteDo you have names for your states yet?
Not for the countries (prob'ly will stick to France, Britain, etc), but I read a few historical fantasy series that are inspirational for unit names:
Deletehttps://ibb.co/mTtfV4p
- Royal Kempston
- Yorbourne Grenadiers
- Anvre Regiment
- Bachiem mercenaries
Great use of these Jennifer. I did not think that the 'halo' effect looked that bad, but then saw blog posts where people have shaded them and they do look a lot better (all impressions purely from photos, mind!).
ReplyDeleteRegards, James
I saw a post recently where someone tried a sharpie marker, with success, so I may experiment with that as well.
DeleteI have seen both sharpie and stain/ink applied to the edges. To my eye, this step improves the overall appearance.
DeleteGood to hear. I'll experiment with the casualty figures first before I embark on coloring whole regiments.
DeleteI have recently played several Jacobite Rebellion games using WoFun 18mm figures that a buddy is collecting. The figures look good and one can build instant armies without the necessary long lead times of painting hundreds of thousands of figures.
ReplyDeleteThey are tempting, aren't they? It's been a long time since I've built or painted anything on my own account. No guilt!
Delete