Back when I first started wargaming, I learned that you should NEVER buy a new box of miniatures until you'd finished building and painting what you already had. I don't think any wargamer can say they do that successfully.
I also took a seminar for work yesterday on organizing your work and avoiding procrastination. There were some tips surprisingly useful for gaming projects as well, including links to a book titled Eat That Frog. This basically means to break down your tasks by priority, and do the most crucial ones first. The problem is that gaming is never a priority - it's relaxation. I have plans for gaming at work, but the pandemic's interrupted that.
While I loved assembling Games Workshop's multipart kits back in the 3rd Edition era (They're not nearly as customizable today), I was not much of a painter. Honestly, I hated it, and you can probably tell already I'm easily distracted. The fact that I played Fighting Tigers Space Marines wasn't much help. Though I will admit, if I forced myself to work on a project regularly, it was possible to fall into a rhythm and get through dozens of figures in a sitting when I'd only intended a handful. I mean, I already had the paints out.
Peter Dennis' Paperboys make that easier - you don't have to paint them.
Wofun makes it still easier - you don't even have to cut them out.
That leads to difficulties.
Another wargamer maxim more honored in the breach than the observance is "Never start on a new project before you've finished the first one."
If you've read even a handful of my blog posts, you know that ain't happening either. There are five (count 'em) aborning projects in this photo alone.
- A small English Civil War army, with which to try:
- Peter Dennis' and Andy Callan's own beginner rules from his ECW Paperboys book.
- Wally Simon's even shorter rules from Secrets of Wargame Design.
- A small War of the Roses army, with which to try:
- Test of Resolve.
- Another Peter Dennis/Andy Callan set, played on a gridded board...
- ...Like the one visible under the figures. There are actually three two-sided boards, 24"x36". Even marked up (with included pens) as two-inch squares to contain the 20mmx30mm bases, this is 12x18 squares, much bigger than the chess boards I initially used. This will enable me better to try some of Bob Cordery's Portable Wargame rules. They advertise as non-staining and easy to clean, which if true will work better than the vinyl I first tried to run DnD on back in the day.
Here's most of the English Civil War starter set - assembling cannon from MDF is a challenge, and I may use guns from the other sets as "light" artillery. There are two extra New Army regiments unmade. I'll also have to pick up a couple more toolboxes from the hardware store to keep them in - luckily, the spaces are deep enough that the pikes won't rise past them.

I think most of us are guilty of the unfinished project ‘sin’. 😕
ReplyDeleteThe SCW is one of those ideas that has been pushing for attention in my mind lately. And I like the sound of Graham’s rules. An old mate reminded me of a TV series from the 80s that gives a good introduction. It’s on YouTube
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAuucEydM53fQhEZiJHdWNzbdea35avxe
I tend to get sidetracked by obscure folk music too. I’ve listened to plenty relating to the Finno-Soviet wars, but I don’t know much from the SCW, beyond A Las Barricadas. So if you have any recommendations, I’d be interested.
Jarama Valley and Ay Carmela are two standards that were popularized during the '60s folk revival - you can find them and others sung by Pete Seeger, Woody Guthrie et al. There's an excellent list on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songs_of_the_Spanish_Civil_War
DeleteI particularly like this one about the Irish of the International Brigades (unrelated to an earlier Viva La Quince Brigada) by Christy Moore: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQbXO828Vio
Great, thanks! I’ll have a listen with a suitable beverage sometime
ReplyDeleteWell, I clearly am not the Poster Child either of your tents of wargaming. i have multiple projects on the go and NEVER finish painting a purchase before buying more. You should see the size of my Lead Pile. Enormous.
ReplyDeleteAs for hosting a SCW game of FWTDR, it would be useful to set in on a game session with Graham to see how the rules are properly played. There are a lot of moving parts and a tutorial would be very useful I think.
Reviewing some of the battle reports on either Graham's or my blogs would be insightful too.
I haven't gotten more than a few pages in yet, but I have read a handful of the reports on Graham's site. Will look at more as I get the chance. Most useful would be a video, but I don't think there are any yet.
DeleteOn procrastination, this is the best piece ever written, I reckon:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.structuredprocrastination.com/
Regards, James
It makes a very fair point, and I already do something like this; I pick several things I don't really want to do, and force myself to choose between them. So if I don't want to do A, I'll have to do B instead, and if I want to take a break from B, I'll have to go back to A. Doing one thing I don't want to do becomes a break from the other thing I don't want to do!
DeleteWhen it works, anyway...