Wednesday, September 22, 2021

My Colonial Collection, Part 2: Mahdists, Brits and more Egyptians

 Found some more of my Colonial minis, buried at the bottom of a drawer. Again, most of the River War models aren't ready for play, needing pennies for basing. I don't tend towards strictness in basing; pennies match brownish ground well enough as is, and I'd rather get to playing than spend time and effort on detailing. I am not an artist, which is one reason why I find painting a chore - I'd rather get the figures on the table and cut to the game. Perhaps I'm more old-style, preferring basic green table, foam hills and "found" buildings.

Two dozen camelry.

35 Mahdists with firearms.

Seventy with spears.

And ninety-six Beja "fuzzy-wuzzies."

Roughly ten units (for TSATF) of infantry and two of cavalry. The recommendation in the book is for a quarter of these to have rifles, plus cavalry and maybe a Krupp gun, which I have to spare.

Also in the box were some more Egyptians and Brits:

47 Egyptians, so another battalion-worth.

And 32 Brits in classic khaki.

Buildings for the River War are fairly easy to mock up. Suggested by Man of Tin, I bought some biodegradable plant pots which have just the right color and texture. But here's another I made years ago with construction paper for a demo at work, based on a tutorial from the old Major General's Page:


While I still like TSATF for the rules, I intend to experiment with The Men Who Would Be Kings as well, for its "solo mode" if nothing else. See you then!

4 comments:

  1. Nice collection of colonials. I recently picked up TMWWBK and am thinking of giving it a try for the Spanish-American War.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like TSATF, it seems very versatile. Worth a shot!

      Delete
  2. Are you going to try the Portable Colonial Wargame?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reminder! Yes, eventually, if I don't do the ECW one first. I experimented with the free 2-page rules and some assorted 15mm colonial figures some years ago - it attracted attention at the library chess club! Unfortunately Covid means I can't do live indoor programs at the moment, though chess is still a thing without our input.

      Delete