Several commenters have recommended picking a couple periods and rulesets and sticking to them for a while. This is probably a good idea!
- Central Africa skirmish campaign, to play with The Sword in Africa and my available figures (Zulu standing in for Masai etc, perhaps as the Ouazulu from the Major General's website). I'll just work my way through the TSIA scenarios, linking them loosely.
- 18th-Century freestyle Jacobite campaign, using the Stuart Asquith variant of Charge! with my Wofun figures. I have no idea where to start, though - what should the opening scenario be? I may try the Snakes and Ladders campaign from Grid Based Wargaming
- Picacho Pass skirmish scenario, to play with my local group around March or April, the 160th anniversary of the action. Two things are required - to hammer out appropriate rules and collect terrain. The former, likely Featherstonish, will be playtested if I can at work - anything that kids and teens can understand quickly should be suitable. The latter will be a brown tabletop, a ton of scatter aquarium terrain to hide behind, and a backdrop silhouette of Picacho Peak itself, with shelves for figures to stand on if they choose to climb it. Again, I can probably get away with building it at work, particularly since we're under construction and there is plenty of heavy cardboard free for the taking.
- Gaming with kids and teens at work - something of everything. Starting this week we are back to in-house programming, which is probably not the greatest idea in Florida, but the teen tech lab is already running and podcasting a Dungeons and Dragons campaign which I hope to sit in on. Anything in there will likely be fantasy, however; I am thinking of a jousting game using old Games Workshop rules and Paperboys knights, and the staff are eager to try Munchkin. With the younger kids it'll be weekly tabletop game nights, mostly family board games, but I may be able to get in Close Wars demos and simple RPGs. Both have been popular in the past.
So, two plans for solo-game campaigns at home (perhaps alternately?). A single small-skirmish club game. And things to try at work, though opportunities will have to be snatched - hence using the simplest rules I can hack. I'll still try other things in between; the Over the Hills solo RPG is appealing because I wouldn't have to "set down" too often, I still want to try De Bellis Navalis with my eraser ships, I might get in some remote RPGing, and I've almost forgotten about Glory:1861! But... (takes deep breath) ... I'll try to stick to the above for the majority of posts for a while. Thanks for reading.
Plans, gotta love them, especially for the new year!
ReplyDelete"Best laid plans..." Yeah, I'll probably revise this at the New Year once I've spent a month on these!
DeleteLooking forward to hearing how the kids and teens games go. I am still waiting ( not so patiently):to return to volunteering in the school l retired from. I haven’t been allowed to do so since March 2020.
ReplyDeleteAre you at all able to help over Zoom or Skype? I've gotten a couple craft-project instructions posted on our social media.
DeleteP.s I’m a Wargame Butterfly flitting from project to project and back again…
ReplyDeleteGotta settle for something...! (flutters away)
DeleteYes, plans are good, they give one something to deviate from rather than aimlessly wandering :)
ReplyDeleteLooks like a good starting point though!
I hope so!!
Delete“Yes, plans are good, they give one something to deviate from rather than aimlessly wandering”
DeleteGood one, Ross! I must remember this.
Jennifer, for your campaigning options, I find using a board game to drive the campaign narrative while fighting battle generated from the campaign works well. This approach removes a lot of the overhead and development from your shoulders s as nice the campaign infrastructure is already in place. The question is, does a suitable wargame exist to host one of these two campaigns?
ReplyDeleteThere is a (large, expensive) '45 board game I know some folks on the Wargaming the '45 Facebook group have used. The Wofun campaign I've watched there started with one from the Black Powder supplement The Last Argument of Kings.
DeleteAs for TSIA... I seem to recall one of Chris Peers' games had a campaign of sorts. There is also a "rolling table" campaign in Charles S. Grant's solo scenario book, which could work for a European explorer delving into the interior. The TSIA scenarios available are characterful, though, and I can see links between them, using the survivors from one in the next.
Further to Jon’s comment about board game driven campaigns, there is a simple alternative on the ‘Grid based wargaming - but not always’ blog. The blogger, Peter, ran a ‘Snakes and Ladders’ campaign for the Jacobite rising of ‘45 in Summer 2020.
DeleteI've been looking at it.
Delete