In addition to The African Wars, Chris Peers has also written a handful of interesting rulesets; I read his In the Heart of Africa decades ago when it was available on the Foundry website. I was alerted to the newer Death in the Dark Continent by Peter Dennis, the maker of Paperboys, who recently was inspired by Peers to create a new line of his beautiful paper figures.
Heart of Africa is a skirmish game with a maximum of around sixty figures a side; Death in the Dark Continent has similarities but uses up to nine multi-bases per unit - perfect for Paperboys, of course. Both are focused on the era of exploration - ie, interfering European and American busybodies with, in Peers's words, "a mad obsession for lakes and the sources of rivers," and a bewildering mix of African tribes and Arabs who regarded these goings-on with bemusement and increasing alarm.I first was introduced to this period by Larry Brom's classic The Sword and the Flame, 3rd edition, which includes a "reduced" variant called The Sword in Africa.
When I played Warhammer 40K, one of my favorite armies was the Catachan Jungle Fighters - basically WWII Australians with a touch of Vietnam movies. The 3rd-edition codexes for 40K were masterful examples of concision, compressing impressive amounts of backstory, pictures, rules and hobby ideas into 48 pages or less. Codex Catachan had a unique method of creating a jungle battlefield which I like to use even in non-40K games.
I recognise a few of those last few photos - Esci figures?
ReplyDeleteInteresting terrain generator which would work well with Close Wars
https://manoftinblog.wordpress.com/tag/close-wars/
I've used it for Close Wars in the past - another game I've always wanted to play but only have the means now!
DeleteLooking forward to seeing more of this project…
ReplyDeleteTSIA is one of those games I've rarely played but always wanted to. Now I have the appropriate minis for it, I might even try a campaign.
DeleteNice collection! Should make for some fun games. 😀
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to it.
DeleteVery nice assortment of colonial forces Jennifer! I have seen photos of native Schutztruppe forces in the slouch hat, so this is correct. Colonial is my favorite period for wargaming and I really think that you'll enjoy it too!
ReplyDeleteColonials were the first historicals I got to play, and I am lucky to have a local group that loves TSATF. One of the real classics.
Delete