Sunday, February 27, 2022

Prepping for Falkirk (not there yet!)

 I bought the Black Powder ACW starter set and have been reading the rules. They include this quote about Falkirk:

"There was a high wind accompanied by a heavy rain, which the Highlanders, by their position, had in their back, whilst it was full in the face of the English who were blinded by it. They were, besides, incommoded with the smoke of our discharge, and the rain, getting into their pans, rendered the half of their muskets useless."

That's useful background! The Black Powder campaign also recommends limiting the number of volleys to be fired, perhaps to D3. This should work alright for Simpson's rules. I have played his Falkirk scenario before, from Wargames Illustrated 134. That is recommended at this point in the campaign, but the forces will be different given the track of my own campaign thus far. For one thing, I don't think the majority of British units should be below average, and they should also outnumber the Highlanders. I'm undecided about guns, which did not feature at the actual battle.

In other news, I've continued assembling the ACW plastics; my goal at this point is to have two sets, one for solo play at home and one for experimentation at work. However, gaming at home will halt for the moment, as my Dad is visiting and he's not a gamer. He got me into military and aviation history, and in the UK we visited Culloden, Portsmouth and Bovington. As an engineer, though, he wanted to see the Falkirk Wheel instead.

Aside, my cat likes Black Powder. Or at least the enormous box it comes in.

So that's my last home post for a bit. I hope at least to play at work next month, though. Happy gaming!

2 comments: