Sunday, October 16, 2022

Still no gaming

 Although here's part two of the Seven Days game:


Here's yesterday's game, which I missed owing to work (which included a split shift owing to working late on a sudden, though successful, outreach). The only gaming I got in yesterday was the discovery that our pop-up giveaway fans make wonderful and very popular frisbees!

The Peleliu game uses the same rules as the WWII game I participated in.

That should give you an idea of the sort of stuff we do at the club. Because of my schedule, I sadly only make about half the meetings. Thanks again to Oriskany Jim!

Finished a couple books, though. Osprey's compact style is popular, and the older Campaign series do have some wargaming tips (there are even ones written by Featherstone, Young et al). I finished one I bought ages ago on the Royal Naval Air Service, and started another from the Duel series which I haven't looked at before - this one on Hawker Hurricanes versus Messerschmitt BF 110s. 

I've also got several books on the way - one on Shaggy Ridge (a knife-ridge in New Guinea fought over by the Australian 7th Division) and two of the lesser-known In Action series by Squadron/Signal Publications. I'm surprised these aren't better known; perhaps because they're older, and to my knowledge are no longer published. They also focus much more on hardware, in great detail, which is why they're mostly sold in museums and hobby shops (not gaming shops). I had a lot of them as a kid and did not discover Osprey until much later. I ordered three Vietnam-era ones - M41 Walker Bulldog, M113 and M48 Patton, and finished the M41 one two days ago. Looking forward to the others. To my knowledge there isn't any popular Vietnam wargame out there, though the realistic RPG Recon has adherents and a tabletop skirmish wargame variant.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link to the Peleliu battle report. I am looking to seeing the conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying Jim's reports. He also does board wargames and rpgs.

      Delete