So, at the slooowly approaching end of my '45 every-rule campaign, the two sides stand as follows:
British OOB:
- Three Guards regiments.
- Four Yeomen/Militia/Trained Bands regiments.
- One Highlander regiment (Murray's).
- Three line regiments (Royal Irish, Bragg's, Richbell's).
- Three Household Cavalry regiments.
- Three Dragoon regiments (one militia).
- Five light guns.
Rebel OOB:
- One French regiment (Irish Brigade), seven Highland regiments.
- Two cav regiments (one French, one Scottish).
- Three guns (with French crews).
I hope to also run the Junior General Leuthen scenario this month, so it helps that I need to organize my 18th-century Wofun figures. The Leuthen scenario will require three bases per regiment, but I'll want less to fit them all onto my new Memoir '44 board. The D3 rules require tracking hit points for regiments, so sizes aren't important. However, George will be using conventional minis on his own table, so I need to work out the right size.
The board itself is 9x13 hexes. At first I thought 90x130cm might work, which would be roughly 3x4feet, with cm for the moves. But first, the width of a hex is wider than the height (6x5.5cm), and second, it wouldn't provide much room for the armies. Another possibility is half that number of inches - 45x65, so about four by five-and-a-half feet, normal inches for increments, and smaller regiments.
The Memoir '44 board itself is about 17x27 inches of playable area, room only for seven or eight three-base regiments. So gotta break it down. Eight two-base regiments plus three guns also cross the whole board. Guess we're stuck with one base per unit.
As you'll see in the first photo, this still isn't quite large enough; it may be better to use the entire 2x4 table and mark its edges. I'll have to label both the units and the hexes for George's benefit anyway.
Another option that occurred to me just as I posted, is to reduce the number of units! Perhaps one large regiment per "brigade?"
![]() |
| The Government force, reduced to "regiments" representing (right-to-left) militia, guns, Guards, line, Household cav, dragoons. |
Suggestions happily accepted!




The base size work very nicely with the hexes.
ReplyDeleteThey fit well, but I'm still undecided whether to use them together. It still looks, well, off, and it may or may not mesh well with the D3 rules.
DeleteSounds like you've got two interesting games to play out Jennifer. Leauthen is a tricky one to pull off since nearly everyone knows what happened.
ReplyDeleteI'll play it solo, using the Charles Grant scenario for a flank attack.
DeleteWith surprises such as Leuthen, you can always play them from the moment one army notices it is flanked. I have enough room for 2 large permanent tables and so can play 2 games at once if anyone else is interested ( any period). I do think it is easiest with square or hex based games or yardstick games converted to such. Im retired and so have time for 2,
ReplyDeleteNice, if you can find the opponents. You could certainly run an asymmetrical game like this on both sides, playing each side in turn and seeing who does better.
Delete