Sunday, January 15, 2023

Terrain - card, resin and "found"

I've been procrastinating getting on with my next Minceheim game. Picked up a bit of new terrain this week, so I thought I'd show off my steadily increasing cover which may appear in the game.

Gobbo and dwarf face off in a wrecked building.

First off is a ready-painted resin ruined building which cost me just $15 at a store fairly close to work. (I also talked them into giving us some leftover comics for Free Comic Book Day.) It's sized for 28/25mm, which limits me to Games Workshop games and maybe RPGs - but I've actually ordered GW's Warhammer Alliance school/library club set for my branch in the optimistic hope I can get some games going - or at least have extra supplies for a paint-and-take program during summer. Hey, it's free to us professionals.

A giant spider clambers along the wall.
Youtube friend Steve Page recommended these paper "cross-walls"; they're made by Dave Graffam and are available to download on Wargame Vault. I realized pretty quickly that they needed reinforcement, so I sandwiched them over cardstock. The longer elements are difficult to glue down, as there's more chance for the angle being off or trapping air (note the wrinkles at lower left). Perhaps next time I'll try printing on cardstock, but they can also be reduced for my 18mm figures.

Here they are sandwiched and drying before assembly.
The bad fold is visible at the bottom.
Another reason to use heavier card.
They stick in place well on the carpet
texture, though.
I will definitely pick up more of Graffam's designs; these wall come in several colors and there are plenty of full-fledged buildings available too, both complete and ruined.

A mound of foliage.
The last bit is something I've had for a while but not used much. During our branch's ongoing reconstruction, I swiped some leftover green, brown and blue carpet offcuts. I needed a pair of proper shears rather than mere scissors to cut and shape them, but they work as the base of simple terrain features.

Low shrubbery shelters these dwarves
from a looming feline-daemon.
Other than a few of Peter Dennis' "cross-trees", the features would be empty but for a coworker's suggestion. I liberated a bagful of loose decorative paper used for filling Easter baskets. With small fishtank stones for borders, this will work for jungle terrain as well.

So that's what I've been doing instead of playing. These will see action soonish - I hope!

4 comments:

  1. Your card stock walls are very effective and creative approach to jungle terrain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good additions to the terrain options. Printing on the heavier cardstock is the best practice. Kudos on realizing the use for the carpet remnants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned to "scrounge" scrap terrain from 40K, where it's a little easier to use anything you like regardless of accuracy.

      Delete