Thursday, February 23, 2023

More Rocky Hills

My missing package of rocky hills turned up, two weeks late. Wonder where they were; maybe in the back of a warm truck or something, since two of the pieces were stuck together and "popped" apart, losing paint in the process.


This is more jagged and "realistic" terrain compared to the first, very rectangular batch.

There are five larger, flat-topped, angular pieces, and ten smaller, "messier" rubble pieces.
The larger pieces have some jutting bits on top marring the total flatness. While a nice, realistic touch, it makes them harder to stack. But generally all that will fit on them are the rubble pieces anyway.

I like the rubble - the smaller pieces will make good cover anywhere on a table, even for my 18mms. They are heavier than the hills, or at any rate rattle satisfyingly when they hit the table - I think actual rocks were used in their construction, not just foam.

Here's the damaged parts - quite minor:

I'm open to suggestions about repair. At this point I'm thinking of trying a textured "basing" paint from Citadel. A thin layer might obscure the pink without rising above the surrounding rock, and if so, look like a proper chip in the stone. Or perhaps just plain black or dark grey, with sharp highlighting like that visible elsewhere on the pieces.

Had a bad day, but this little thing makes me feel that little bit better. Thanks for reading.

6 comments:

  1. Always uplifting to receive a shipment of toys. Have fun fixing the blemishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those dings? I probably wouldn't bother repairing, putting them down to the usual weather erosion that occurs on especially steep slopes. Even the difference in colour with the rest of the rock could be put down to a relatively fresh slip...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the theory, yes, except that the underlying foam is pink! Granted, it's not that noticeable from tabletop height. Perhaps it's salt?

      Delete
  3. Touch it up with a bit of housepaint? That's what I tend to use for terrain, or cheap craft acrylics as opposed to expensive GW style paints, nice looking hills, with a variety of uses!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair point. I'm leaning towards basic colors to show the underlying stone, but I've been watching a lot of GW painting videos lately (esp. Duncan "Two Thin Coats" Rhodes) and am eager to try some proper highlighting and shading, whatever I do.

      Delete