Saturday, February 11, 2023

Running ragged

Three weeks of not wanting to do anything except sleep, stare at the computer or read when I got home from work.

Two still to go.

The one good day of the last few weeks was when I received the Games Workshop "Warhammer Alliance" box. Here's the contents:

Ten colorful paint bottles in a torn white box.
Ten base paints and a dozen starter brushes. The package didn't
come out of its box intact.

Black box packed with many small grey plastic sprues.
Box packed with twenty-four sprues, each with two push-fit minis.
They can also be pressed off the sprue - no clippers needed!


White open box containing cardboard with colorful pop-out tokens, markers and ruined walls.
Card terrain, rulers and tokens. Sadly, the fold-points aren't
scored, which makes them harder to fold.

Sealed plastic bag containing six white dice with black pips.
A dozen basic dice, same as the ones that come in the commercial
starter sets.

Four plastic toy soldiers, one inch tall - two space marines and two space skeletons.
Two assembled sprues. The Marines are easy, the Necrons a 
little more spindly. I'll probably undercoat with a tan or
bone color.

Sealed plastic package of Warhammer activity magazines.

A reddish, Mars-like sheet. On it, in fighting poses, are four grey plastic miniatures, two L-shaped cardboard walls, and a white cardboard ruler.
A quick skirmish played through as an example.

Not pictured: Some nice laminated paint palettes, one in each magazine. The magazines make it clear these are aimed more at the under-12 crowd, but as I said, this was the ONE good day and I dunno when (or if) I'll get a chance to get something going with the kids or teens. They certainly won't be used as intended by the series of activities within, and the teens are more interested in gaming anyway. The most likely end for them is a paint-and-take I'm planning during our Summer Reading kickoff. I've also got Fort Wagner to run this month - if only I can get three hours straight and an audience!

We have talked desultorily about reinstating the weekly gaming period - maybe combining it with the board-gaming we're already doing with younger kids - but so many other things are going on I haven't had a chance to think about it. The theory is that if we run DnD every week for months on end, the early weeks will see little activity but interest and notice will grow as we keep doing it. But we need to make time for it.

At the back, a few grey and green foam textured model hills. In front of them, two silver ship models still stuck to thin plastic stands, with silver masts obscured by 3D-printing support.
One other thing I did get from work - these War of the Pacific
ship prints. The masts are too supported and unusable, so I'll have to 
find another solution.

Finally, I ordered another small batch of foam hills, which were listed delivered online but not in my mailbox or at my door. Gotta report them lost - hopefully they will have been shipped back to the maker. Urgh.

Have a happier weekend.

2 comments:

  1. It is a hobby, but requires energy and focus doesn't it?
    I gather that this super-busy period at work has a definitive end of two-weeks' time?
    Hang in there.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. It's sucking up my energy and work is still not benefiting as much as it should. We'll see.

      Delete