Thursday, April 20, 2023

Bits and Pieces

 I've been so exhausted (lazy?) lately, that I haven't gotten much gaming or even modeling done. 

  • I've done one layer of gold on a handful of Warhammer minis - weeks ago. 
  • I've read eight books from Tanya Huff's Confederation series. Not useful unless a futuristic-marine vs. lizard version of Rorke's Drift might make a useful scenario for Xenos Rampant. Which I need to order, having read of it being used for more historical conflicts.
  • I bought about ten mats of aquarium plants for counting as jungle in The Sword in Africa. 
  • And I've signed up for a TSIA game at Recon 2023 in Orlando next weekend. Hopefully that'll give me some inspiration and ideas for modeling; I've been meaning to run it for ages, and even have a player or two at the club willing to play as soon as I get around to it.
  • Tonight, I finished the first two chapters of Ian J. Knight's Warrior Chiefs of Southern Africa, which made me want to base some of my Zulu...
  • Instead, I based twenty-eight colonial redcoats. Where basing means simply gluing to pennies with PVA. I'll probably do some more tonight - just working my way through the collection. I've considered using pennies with my 20mm Napoleonics, but then they don't seem to stand close enough.

On the surface of a dirty white plastic table are twenty-eight red-coated, tan-helmeted British soldiers. Behind them is a square of plastic grass, high enough to act as jungle for the figures.

7 comments:

  1. Reading 8 books must count as doing something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair enough. I've been ranging through my old ebooks of the History of Wargaming collection, too, but nothing's caught my interest long enough to finish...

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you've done plenty. We lose our "mojo" from time to time. At leastbyou are still ticking along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too use coins ( of approximately the same dimensions) to base my skirmish level figures, both 20mm and 28mm. In my case, they are 10c coins (New Zealand) which used to be 2c coins (inflation!) and are exactly the same as the UK penny 22mm I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like coins the size of US dimes for the Napoleonics - 18mm. US pennies are 19mm.

      Delete