Sunday, July 2, 2023

More Miscellaneous Stuff

Been a long and exhausting week. I have a lot of personal appointments and home improvement to catch up on. Haven't got much done gaming-wise done at all; my plan for a Battery Wagner game at work was shot down, so won't have a chance to use it at work anytime soon. This week is Fourth of July, though, so I'm hoping to get away with a "patriotic" game of some sort. I'm torn between a reenactment of North Point using Junior General and Paperboys I built during the pandemic, and a round of the Perry's TravelBattle (its Napoleonic style works just as well for War of 1812). I'm leaning towards the latter, as it's more "game-like."

So this weekend was spent working on personal stuff a bit, and a few books and hobby bitz.

I read the first volume online, and hunted
the second down on Ebay. A very interesting
biography of a perhaps over-maligned commander.

Not specifically gaming-related, but by a well-known
game designer I've gotten to know on Facebook. The
first volume's quite good so far - a fun series with
the style of a classic.

Completed the 3rd Edition 40K ruin I bought at Recon.
Very easy to build, and solid even without much glue.
May try painting it one of these days.

Another Recon purchase - Mark 6 Heresy Marines.
Each slot contains the parts for one model, in the
unlikely event I do a build-n-take at work. I'd need
inexpensive plastic glue, though.

Spent some tiring time in the heat today collecting a 
6x4 piece of light plywood. Laid atop my 2x4 plastic
table, I'm hoping this will enable me to play more
conventionally-sized games.
This week? Mostly work and a little job-searching, as usual. I hope to use the larger table to play some mid-18th century games on a more conventional scale; I'd like to work my way through all the Charles S. Grant solo scenarios.

Hope your weekend has been as productive!

6 comments:

  1. Hope work and job search allow more time your hobby. On the hobby front, my weekend has not been very productive besides cranking out a battle report on Sunday. Perhaps I can spare time for a meaningful painting session Monday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with that. Time off tomorrow means I might get something in...

      Delete
  2. neat way of enlarging your table-top

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hobby time comes in waves and eddies.
    Braxton Bragg is definitely NOT over maligned. Lol. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This second volume promises to look at his time as Davis' military advisor with more detail and consideration than most writers bother with. The thesis is that, his abrasiveness aside, he wasn't THAT bad a general. He did win Chickamauga, after all. Also, the idea that his troops hated him is mostly from Tennesseans, who he got along with worst - there are some surprising quotes in the first volume from private soldiers who liked him and even encouraged him in letters.

      Delete