Sunday, October 1, 2023

Something Simpler

Back to Paperboys. I was rereading Dragon Rampant and realised that with my new numbered counters I can use multibases to play small units, with the counters to note casualties. I haven't built Paperboys in a while - mostly focusing on the Wofun plastic versions - but I badly need a break from work, and just cutting and assembling the paper figures is so relaxing I can't even express it. The other nice thing is that I can steadily build up an army, almost without thinking about it. So I'm working towards two 24-point armies for Dragon Rampant and then a little messing about with the game. I might also try them with the semi-mass-battle version of Minceheim.

So I printed one of each of the Fantasy infantry sheets and went to work. Here's what I've got so far.

Good guys: Rangers and Halflings.
Bad guys: Orcs. Peter Dennis calls them "mutants."
The handy thing about these figures is they come in elements of six or twelve, which are the standard unit sizes for Dragon Rampant. The Orcs are obviously two units of Heavy Foot with spears, while the rangers and halflings are a little more up in the air. The Halflings could be either one unit of Light Missiles or two units of Scouts, while the Rangers would be Light Foot with Mixed Weapons, possibly with Offensive for better melee ability. There is a "Ranger" ability in the game, but only Bellicose Foot can have it and represent uncontrollable assault troops. Scouts have similar abilities in terrain, but only missiles for fighting. So neither really matches Faramir's or Strider's boys, which the Men clearly represent.

I've used abilities like that out of context before, though, and will either be doing this solo or at work. So not that big a deal.

In other Paperboy news, I brought my old Battery Wagner model home. It was never going to see the use I planned for it at work. I planned to run the scenario solo at home just to get some use out of it, but before I could a cat sat on it:

I could reassemble it and claim the ruin is due to
bombardment, but that would be the third (abortive)
assault rather than the second...

2 comments:

  1. Gosh you must have a lot of patience, and excellent eye to scissor/craft knife coordination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My coworkers have had the same comments, but it's far easier than it looks. And even if you go slow, it's also far faster than assembling and painting 3D minis, not to mention much more forgiving of mistakes!

      Delete