We played a Gunga Din scenario at Das Krieg Haus last week. I haven't seen the film since university, but it was the GM, Devon's, favorite, and he even had miniatures of the stars for us to play. It's been a long while since I've gotten in a game of The Sword and the Flame. The blocky but attractive setting:
 |
Some of the simpler building were made by Devon's grandfather, a nice keepsake! |
 |
One of the objectives - fallen telegraph poles which I had to raise to request reinforcements. |

In the film, starring Cary Grant, Douglas Fairbanks and Victor McLaglen, Kipling's "Sergeants Three" find themselves holding off a swarm of Thuggee cultists. (I asked if there was a miniature of Indiana Jones about, and there was!) I got McLaglen, AKA Sergeant McChesney. Each sergeant had ten Indian troops, Guides I think, and a bhisti. The bhistis allowed a roll against a D8 for wounded troops. 1-3 dead, 4-6 no result, 7-8 recovered. I'm sad to say nearly all our attempts got the wounded men inadvertently killed, to the point that at moments of crisis we were actively hoping for it so that we wouldn't have to carry them out of reach of the enemy! (In TSATF, Colonial troops take morale checks when wounded men are killed by natives, but two men assisting one wounded man aren't available for the firing line.)
 |
The combat result table was simplified; in particular, British shooting is better. Normally the best is 7 or less on a D20. |
 |
A typical result. Devon uses squares of red felt to denote the resting places of casualties - a handy way to make it look more like a battlefield without cluttering the table with figures. |
That's Ballantine's squad above, patrolling the town while mine fixes the telegraph lines and Cutter secures a supply building. Thuggee appeared in random buildings to pester us. The theory was that this would be like a zombie film, with enemies increasing in number as ours sank, but in practice we were lucky enough to not have more than we could handle for most of the game.
 |
| My squad were attractively painted with fur trim on the coats. |
 |
They succeeded, with random rolls, at raising the telegraph poles and calling for reinforcement. |
 |
Despite the bad guys raining fire on me and eventually killing both McChesney and my bhisti. |
 |
My survivors went off to help Ballantine, but ended up having to hide in cover until our relief under Higginbotham turned up. |
 |
| Some of the opposition. |
 |
| I love this figure and its enormous sword! |
 |
| Cutter beseiged on the Residency roof. |
 |
| While casualty-burdened good guys limp down the street. |
 |
| Did I mention I was surrounded? |
 |
Higginbotham arrives, and my leaderless squad hastens to join him. |
 |
| Cutter, meanwhile, assisted by dynamite, has done enormous damage. |
 |
| Ballentine and Cutter escape the board ahead of hordes of unhappy cultists. |
 |
End game - (most of) the Indian Army chaps have escaped, leaving a lot of frustrated or dead Thuggee. |
This was basically like the smaller-skirmish version
The Sword in Africa - with only four players (one for each squad) and a GM trying to kill us. I was surprised that it went so well on such a small scale, but Devon removed all unnecessary mechanisms and ran the game at a fair clip. We all enjoyed ourselves, and there were, appropriately, plenty of cinematic moments. I don't think any of the bhistis survived, though, nor were they much help! A fine and atmospheric game.
Enjoyed your report. Sounds like a really good game played with fine looking figures and terrain.
ReplyDeleteWhat were considered as unnecessary mechanisms?
Since there were nothing but infantry, we didn't need cavalry or artillery, there wasn't much difficult terrain, etc. All the movement, combat results, etc fit on two pages in the original book. This way we didn't need our books and there were no special types of troops (except the water carriers). The few things added were for cinematic effect.
DeleteOne of our club members has a template for unit cards which have proved quite useful in the past.
this is my favorite game and I am always happy that people really enjoy it. When i run it at cons people love it. Especially the older guys like my dad who grew up loving the movie. My interest in gaming is due specifically to my dad loving two movies. Zulu and Gunga Din.
ReplyDeleteI have also done something to the terrain to make it easier to work with and more visually appealing. When we used to have Bills old terrain, some of the pieces were worth thousands and were gorgeous hand built models. Sadly they have all been sold or are not at the club or i would have used those too!
again and most important i am pleased you enjoyed the game.