So it took a while, but I finally finished assembling the church and ten paper regiments (thirty stands) of heavy cavalry. The Prussians got cuirassiers and the Austrians what I think are heavy dragoons. The Wofun chaps will count as "regular" cavalry. Infantry are easier to tell apart, since I have plenty of the plastics in grenadier or fur caps.
 |
"the lighter the category of cavalry the more pronounced the curve in the blade of its sabre." - Christopher Duffy |
Of course, then I procrastinated getting the game going. It's the last day of December, so I think I can still claim this is an anniversary game. I've also been reading a book on AWI naval warfare, and working on the DnD 5th Edition Player's Handbook (not that that will be much use past May when a new edition comes out).
Junior General's Leuthen scenario is even more basic than others in its class on the site; for example, columns aren't a thing, so all units move at the same speed. Although those 24 inches from the enemy may make double moves. Fair enough.
The setup, on a 4x6 table (smaller than the recommended 5x7):
Range is unusually short in this scenario; most have guns with 24" range, but here it's 12" (infantry have 6"). The sides start 18" apart, so movement is in order. Perhaps to make this feel like a larger battle? On the other hand, units can both move and charge.
Turn 1: On the right, the Austrian cavalry start to sweep round the Prussian left flank. On the left near Leuthen, the Prussian cavalry drive the Austrians back into Leuthen and kill their commander, Nadasty.
Turn 2: The Austrian cavalry drives back the Prussian flank guard, wiping out half of it, but on the left the Prussian horse fight their way into Leuthen. The Prussian infantry and artillery haven't even fired a shot yet.
 |
| Decimated Prussian horsw sweep through the village. |
Turn 3: Prussian cavalry gets around Leuthen as the Austrian infantry reserves reverse ranks to hold them off. The Prussian left is still holding out against the Austrian cavalry, who can't make it over to Leuthen to hold off the looming Prussian infantry. Cavalry fight their way through the Leuthen defenders.
 |
| The equivalent of Rot-Wurzburg did not hold this time. |
 |
| The church is practically surrounded. |
Turn 4: While its left flank desperately holds out in Leuthen under heavy fire from the Prussian center-right, the bulk of the Austrian army tries to form a line behind Leuthen to hold off the Prussian horse. The Prussian cavalry has got past Leuthen by now while the infantry is firing into the town and causing casualties. I think this is definitely a Prussian victory, though their cavalry has taken a beating.
 |
While Prussian horse is following up, I think it's clear that the Austrian infantry could finish forming a line on this side of town before the Prussian main force arrives. |
I find the Junior General rules a little fiddly for a solo player because of the morale mechanism - before melee both sides must remember to check.
- Attacker checks - if failed, no charge
- Defender checks - if failed, lose a base and fall back
- Melee roll-off - loser loses a base and falls back.
Each scenario is slightly different, but all of the "horse and musket" types taken together make for a nice, simple set that, as intended, would work well for kids. It would help if I had an opponent to remind me of the steps, though!
The other issue - and this is my own fault for "mixing" miniatures - is reassembling the units in their correct groupings and boxes. I might have to find a way of notating the regiments, perhaps by sticking tabs under the bases.
It is two hours to midnight here on New Year's Eve, so I at least completed the Leuthen anniversary game in the same month! All the best to you and yours, and here's to more gaming activity in the new year. Thanks for all the commentary and encouragement I've gotten from readers - community is key to gaming, even online. See you next year!
Happy New Year! Let’s work on scheduling a remote game in 2024. Most of the games I host are with UK players having a start time typically about 1100am Pacific. A 2pm EST might be awkward timing with your schedule but maybe not?
ReplyDeleteSome Fridays and Saturdays work! I'd be delighted to play your games again. Happy new year to you as well, and I look forward to seeing what you make of it!
DeleteAlways enjoy reading your posts. This one is no different. Keep up the great work.
ReplyDeleteAll the best for 2024.
Thank you, Richard. I'll do my best. I enjoy your book reviews and will be picking up the First Coalition wargaming volume!
DeleteHappy New Year Jennifer. Looking forward to reading more of your blog entries in 2024.
ReplyDeleteThank you, and best wishes to you too.
Deletehappy new year! the wofun flats look great in mass like that. 😁
ReplyDeleteThank you! I agree, the collection does feel like an army now.
DeleteHappy new year looks like a fun game and I like the church!
ReplyDeleteBest Iain
Thank you! The pieces will continue to be used as a "village."
Delete