Saturday, March 9, 2024

New stuff

 Ordered this book after hearing about it on the VWC group:

A good and lively book; I'm just past Dettingen. The author makes the characters and maneuvers surprisingly comprehensible, even though there's a lot of people and places to track. He points out specifically that there are four important Charleses alone. But the clarity is surprising, despite sparse maps. The major battles are at least given several pages each - which you don't always see in large-scale histories. There were three or four major theatres, and with all the German and Italian city-states there is fodder for Imagi-nation campaigning. Very enjoyable - recommended.

This morning I also received a shipment from a fellow on Facebook who was selling his old TSATF supplements. Now I have:
An extra, less worn copy of the rules.

The "big battles" variant, 800 Fighting Englishmen.

Varying action decks (taking the place of playing cards for 
turn and casualty determination; and "special event" decks
for adding variant elements to scenarios (reinforcements, delays, etc).

Two dozen scenarios.

Sample scenario and map.

Unexpected: Card QRS sheets and unit cards.
No need to copy them from the book now!

A bit more reading material - variant rules, tactical tips,
a French North Africa variant, and my favorite - 
material from the Major General's club that,
to my recollection, isn't on the site!
So while I may not be gaming this weekend, rest assured I won't be idle!

The local club has also had a massive donation of minis, terrain and books, so I will really have to get over there one of these weekends to have a look (and help organize). Hope you too are enjoying yourselves. Til next time -

5 comments:

  1. Browning is a good one volume treatment of the war. Recommended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I now have a better understanding of some of the battles you've been running.

      Delete
  2. That looks a great set of materials for TSATF.
    It’s been a good few years since I read the Browning book, but it is as Jon says, a good introduction to the linked series of wars. I got the board game Maria for Christmas soon after reading it, and it captures some of the complexity of the AWS expressed by Browning.
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of interlocking, shifting alliances. I can see how a board/campaign game could be very interesting.

      The TSATF series is already tempting me to play again - or build some colonial Paperboys!

      Delete
  3. Hopefully you are well and truly on the mend now Jennifer? A find haul of books. The one-volume treatment of the Seven Years War sounds interesting (and I not Jon's recommendation above), but lacking maps?! I find that so annoying.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete