Saturday, May 4, 2024

Roads, Buildings and Mud

Another rambling post about what I've done over the past week or so. I do have a WWII battle coming up today at the club, so that'll be next.

I've been drooling over a newish sort of RPG terrain, Tenfold Dungeons. They are designed as dungeon maps, with a selection of doors, stairs and connectors, but the handy thing is that their outsides are also nicely patterned. So long as you don't mind your buildings with flat roofs, and you use them more as obstacles than strongpoints, they might make an okay village. So I picked on the Town set, which has boxes representing a large inn, a church and a town hall.

My cat in the nice new box.

Everything is compact...
To go with them, I broke out some roads I got last year, and a box of period vehicles from the club:

I particularly like this one!
A few closeups:

Gotta use your imagination a bit, but that's what these games
are all about, right?
A simple layout.
With two roads side-by side, I can even have a runway!
So this will help with terrain for VBCW. The plane (a 1937 Lockheed Electra) even suggests an airlanding scenario...

Last of all, I experimented with a Games Workshop technical paint, here Stirland Mud:
... and turned up a few 3d-print vehicles that came with the road pieces:
A little mobile artillery.
The VBCW collection is booming at this point, I must get around to actual play. Perhaps in summer. First comes an Anzio game, which will be the subject of my next post. See you next time.

8 comments:

  1. Nice simple buildings for a game setup - nice plane...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Compared to what I played today (and took awhile to set up and break town) it's perfect for the scale of rules I like.

      Delete
  2. The buildings look really good. Let's face it, everytime we play a game we suspend our sense of reality - just thinking of horizontal vs vertical scale to name but one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair enough. 25-28mm is too large for the plane, but I don't think it'll be a problem.

      Delete
  3. Great preparation for the game, I do like the buildings.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
  4. The world would be a better place if there were more mobile libraries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somewhere in South America is a tank that was converted into a library...

      Delete