Wednesday, July 10, 2024

(Not Quite) Finishing the LDV

Well, I didn't get the Resistance figures finished in time for last VWC. Maybe two weeks down the line then. Part of the problem is that I keep finding parts I missed (taking photos is really good for this) and so completion feels like it's slipping further away. But one step at a time...

I did find an interesting Youtube video that made me think about my scattershot way of doing things:

So I tried (and failed) to focus on these guys. Here's where I am at present, with the rifles and SMGs painted with Sir Coates Silver. This is a Duncan Rhodes paint, and I am painting quite a bit to the accompaniment of his painting videos.


Since, I've done spot colors on things like scarves, bottles and blankets. Scarves, bottles and a pair of glasses in green, socks and blanket in red (I intended to try stripes or a plaid pattern on these, but it didn't work).

Last "base colors" are the hair.  Finally, touch-up. Which I simply haven't got to, partly because I find it frustrating. Photography makes it worse, because pictures are really good for picking up mistakes! At this point, I may just base them and have done; a "dirty" look is less obvious from tabletop height anyway.

Have also done a few more Paperboys, this time for work: 
Ran an early version of The Portable Wargame at work.
Some Patriots, faced by 1812 British I already had, and 
guns and dragoons from the '45 set.
Peter Dennis has most recently put out a very nice
set of "tidelines" with driftwood, stones and even a 
sea turtle for decoration. I put a few out in the children's
area for what I think of as a "guerrilla craft."
I'll be working at a local convention this Friday, and have printed off some Fantasy sheets for a bit more crafting. We'll see how it goes.

Finally, again a bit late, here's the conclusion-video to the club Saipan game:

6 comments:

  1. A good wash goes a long way towards cleaning up figures before varnishing. I use a light gray, then just do a little bit of highlighting to bring out the base colors. Just arms, legs and maybe gun barrels, but your figures are more than good enough for the table as is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to do the wash/highlight thing, funny given how many videos I've watched lately. Thanks for the tip, and I appreciate the encouragement.

      Delete
  2. I have to agree with Mark, your colors look good, using a wash could tie the figures together in a cohesive grouping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used the trousers and caps to try and match the figures, but since they'll probably stand in for any number of factions I didn't want to make them too uniform. A wash is a good idea, and I do have a couple bottles of Army Painter "tone."

      Delete
  3. Figures look good to me, though I can see how the comments about a wash would lift them further.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I reckon they'll do for the classic three-foot distance.

      Delete