Friday, May 23, 2025

Getting there

 I've cleaned up a quarter of my 4x4 "table" and put my 2x2 carpet square on it.

Look familiar?
I'm planning to test out the Asquith version of Charge! by converting inches to mm. Giving me a battlefield effectively five feet on a side. This isn't quite in scale with the minis (18mm vs. the original 30mm), but their flatness and thus ability to cram more figures in a small space should help. I'll start with the original Blasthof Bridge scenario - 40 infantry and 12 cavalry vs. 32 infantry and 18 cavalry, plus guns of course.

The house is obviously dilapidated (and doesn't have a door), while the bridge is crude. I've tried toothpicks underneath to help it stand up, but may make a Paperboys one instead. I printed out a couple sheets yesterday, then forgot to bring them home!

I've been vacillating between this and my new Kill Team box:

I really like the MDF terrain.
Speaking of Games Workshop, I volunteered to help out with a planned D&D day at another branch in August. As I'm not a D&D player, I offered to do a paint-n-take activity instead. (The event will be four hours and more than just the games alone.) The planners jumped at it, so I have another painting event to plan. They were interested in paper minis, too. I'll also attend a couple local conventions during the summer for work.

I've been doing some reading three books too, of course - two Helion and one Black Library. I finished You Have to Die in Piedmont!, an interesting account of the bloodiest battle ever fought in that part of the world - and Marlborough's Other Army, a fairly staid book about the War of the Spanish Succession in Spain (ie, a Peninsular War a century early.) It has a lot of statistics, useful for planning a campaign or reenactment-game, but not that interesting to read.

The third is Gotrek and Felix: The First Omnibus - the first three novels in that popular series. I'm two volumes in, just started the third, and quite enjoying it. There are at least a dozen more, the latest of them set in the Age of Sigmar. Good rollicking fantasy adventure, and inspiration for Minceheim.

That's it for tonight. I'll try and get a solo game in on Sunday. See you then. Whether it's Kill Team or Charge! is up in the air; for comparison with the first photo, here's what curious cats have made of Blasthof Heath:

2 comments:

  1. Always a reliable scenario.
    Cats! Always more creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair enough! The last photo might even be an interesting scenario of Blasthof after an earthquake - the river has become a series of swampy lakes, the house is crushed...

      Delete