Haven't had a great couple weeks. I took my entire course of antibiotics this time and still find myself sick now. On the other hand, my injured finger has recovered - while there's still a bit of pain I'm assured I can and should use it to strengthen.
- Finally obtained my second CS Grant scenario book, Scenarios for All Ages, after (like the other volume) it took three trips across the Atlantic. Shared with the late Stuart Asquith, there are a similar number of scenarios, mostly small and basic (only half a dozen units a side, most of them). To my delight, there is a version of Sittangbad from Charge!
- I've been a little more cautious with ebay stuff lately. I was looking for the OOP simple plastic trees from Merit that feature in The War Game, and while they're a bit expensive I found Zvezda trees which look similar. I received two boxes a couple days ago. They're a little fiddly to put together, but the smaller ones don't require glue and I've built about a dozen without pricking my fingers on the pointy edges too much. The larger ones seem looser. The very tops of the trees are easy to lose. Overall, they look like they'll go well with my Wofun 18mms. I found it easier to build them from the bottom up - largest layers first.

Assembly.
![]() |
| Completed. They seem hefty enough to stay in place without basing, especially sitting on a cloth mat. We'll see. |
- As of today, I've only got twelve of my 30 Wargames Atlantic BEF built; still hoping to finish them by August and then send them off to my brother to paint for me.
- Waiting on Victoria Miniatures' Space Aussies 2 pledge manager; I hope it and the 3dprint files might come in time to make a few on a YouMedia printer before August 9 (when I'll be visiting for game day).
- Speaking of which, still have my painting program to prep - will need to construct and undercoat the Warhammer Alliance minis before then. Another deadline.
- Reread the rules for Fistful of Lead, with the intent to try a couple solo skirmishes. I'm increasingly sure it'll work for Picacho Peak, if I ever get around to running it...
So that's it - another short post but with some hopeful progress. 'Til next time.


Hope you feel better soon, the trees look splendid btw!
ReplyDeleteAlan Tradgardland
Thank you for the good wishes, Alan. I look forward to using them.
DeleteThe Zvezda are a good substitute for the classic trees shown in the War Game. (actually these are Merit OO plastic trees - some old sets still come up on Ebay usually in the UK - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/156450045051).
ReplyDeleteHope you are feeling better soon.... Allan
I've noticed you use similar ones, would definitely like to get my hands on some.
DeleteI too in the past tracked down some fragile Merit OO fir trees, just because they were in Featherstone's War Games …
ReplyDeleteOMG. I have those trees! I got them in the late 70s so not sure if the original or the newer ones. I used them all the time through the 80s until acquiring other tree types. But I recently got them out for a WW2 game in northern Russia and they were perfect. I did spray paint them a darker green a few years ago just to tone them down.
ReplyDeleteFistful of Lead is a gem - so versatile and fun. I solo with it a far bit.