Saturday, August 9, 2025

Painting at the Library

 So, that went well.

It wasn't nearly as chaotic as the first two attempts at this were. I spent about three hours and only had about a dozen takers - two to four at a time - which was much more relaxing. There were few enough that I could change most of the water myself without leaving the kids unsupervised. 

To be fair, most of the folks who came by were there for DnD, and many of them took a mini without having time to paint it. I painted three myself, mostly for demonstration purposes. There are fifteen left of the forty or so I started with. I did decide to stick with the four Warhammer Alliance types, though I added some of my own paints.

Undercoating went badly, partly because the canister ran out of paint. The figures came out ... dusty. Worked alright, but I think skipping the undercoat step might work for a project on this scale - the sample figures in the magazine are not undercoated, for example.

A few examples:






I even got in a simple game demonstration with a few of the kids, facing off single Space Marines and Necrons. A couple of the parents read through the magazines.

May add more photos when they are distributed by the staff member who took better ones.

The small, laminated paint palettes are harder to clean than they look; we tossed most of them and a couple brushes, but overall the kids paid a lot more attention and I managed to teach a few basic techniques. I had hoped to run a Youtube painting video for inspiration, but the screen was in use for 3D scanning.

Oh, and I asked a coworker to print a couple of Victoria Miniatures' "Space Aussies" for me:

Not great. Might try printing them at larger size instead.
It would seem the printers at work aren't the best for the job. We have one at the club now, though, so I may try it one of these weekends.

In related news, I have started reading Playing at the World, a history of early DnD which appears to have plenty about early wargaming - both board and miniature - to go with it. A thick and wordy tome, but good so far.

4 comments:

  1. Excellent painting workshop , you will have made their days possibly even made hobby recruits..
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's possible - I recommended a nearby store to a couple of the parents. Unlike the previous tries, I was able to sit with the kids and demonstrate techniques.

      Delete
  2. This is great ‘future of the hobby’ stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few of the magazines went too, with interested parents, so a visit to a game store might be in their future.

      When they see the prices, that might change, but it's worth a shot!

      Delete