Thursday, January 1, 2026

A Quiet Year

 
Thirty-five posts for the year. Not much in comparison with past years.

I haven't actually got much gaming in last year. The club has moved closer to me, though, so I hope to visit more frequently.

There has been more "preparation". Things like building up collections and obtaining new rules and terrain.

  • I have some Warlord Pike and Shotte on the way.
  • Games Workshop terrain to paint.
  • Speedpaint markers also on the way.
  • The Paperboys Hastings 960 project - 300+ figures cut.

Ready to edge and stiffen.
I've been wanting to take some time off. A lot of time off. The first week of the new year will do for a start; I will not be back at work until Monday the 12th. Some of this time will be spent on self-care - making appointments, visiting the bank, housecleaning. But I'll try to do some hobby, too. I ought to be able to finish my portion of Hastings 960 at the very least. Painting some terrain is the next part - the GW hills and barriers. I hope to have the Speedpaint markers in my hands next week, which (as there is a grey) will be used on the stone walls, while leather-brown will do for the fences. In the meantime, I've had a large brush, green and brown paints waiting for me to try them on the hills. So those are my hobby goals for the first third of January.

Looking ahead? I want to try some Pikeman's Lament, and minis for that are coming. For the club, I have really got to get cracking on the damn Picacho Pass scenario, and March or April would be a good target. I also need to practice Charge!, and the scenario books I picked up last year should help with that. I might be able to run a remote game or two with my brother.

Farther ahead, my employer is planning to commemorate the United States' 250th birthday. I doubt I can get away with a wargame at work, but painting or papercrafting minis is a possibility, for display if nothing else. Last year's Olustee diorama went over well, as did a display of WWII facsimile memorabilia. Another thing I'd like to do would be a folk music concert. 

And more time off. Undecided whether I'll go to the Orlando conventions this year, but am thinking of visiting the UK at some point, and maybe New Zealand to visit my sister (she's near Christchurch on the South Island). If the former, I would like to visit Nottingham, meet Peter Dennis and do the "lead belt" tour. I have about four months saved up, so we'll see.

Wish me luck. Here's hoping your own "gaming resolutions" are as successful. Keep your friends close, and take care. Thank you for reading.

6 comments:

  1. With four months of vacation built up, 2026 offers many opportunities for adventure and wargaming.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'd be happy to join you in another remote game when a slot is open.

      Delete
  2. It looks like you are making good progress on the Hastings 960 project, judging by the photo. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To you as well, Peter. Thanks for all the inspiration.

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year. When you come to the UK, try and time it for one the Partizan shows at Newark. Next to Nottingham and one of the best shows to see historical games.
    Perhaps if you can stretch it to a visit to Kent, SE England, we could put on a game for you.
    Whatever you do, enjoy your year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giving serious thought to the travel plans still. I certainly hope to get in a little gaming. All the best for the coming year!

      Delete