... yeah, this is a partial battle report.
As I slowly but steadily pack away my minis and terrain, I've left a few out to experiment with. I just finished reading Osprey's Auldearn 1645 and Steel Lobsters, so have been itching to try The Pikeman's Lament. A handful of the Wofun 30-Years-War pack on my 2x2 DBA mat seemed in order.
 |
| My hairy DBA mat. This is why I need a second bedroom. |
I had a fun time selecting units from what figures came easiest to hand; one side got lots of firepower, with units of pike, shot, commanded shot and two of dragoons. The other got no firepower at all - two Aggressive Gallopers and some Scots mercenaries - one unit of pike and one of Fierce Forlorn Hope. A hill, a paper house, a tiny wall and a bit of disposable wooded terrain completed the table.
I ran through a few turns. Only the units on the left got anywhere, but I did get to try a number of mechanisms, from Shoot, Move and Attack to the Duel and Skirmish rules.
 |
| Gallopers advance. |
 |
| After a little fire, preparing to charge. |
The fighting and movement was all between the horse on one side and the pike, commanded shot and dragoons on the other. I attempted to charge the Dragoons and Shot, but their ability to skirmish (meaning they could respond with a half-move and shoot) kept this in check. So I charged the Pike instead. Despite their forming up, making them a little tougher, the cav won the fight two casualties to one but still had to retreat afterward.
 |
I also tried a duel between Officers. It was inconclusive.
|
Cramped and distracted, I stopped at this point without going through the whole battle. I did enough to get a feel for the rhythm of the game, though, and was less frustrated than with the time I tried to run
The Men Who Would Be Kings.
I tossed the paper scenery and put away the minis. I get the keys to my new apartment tomorrow, and the move is Monday. After which I'll have a gameroom I can leave a table setup in. Wish me luck...
Good luck with the move. I look forward to seeing the first game in the new gameroom.
ReplyDeleteThanks. I do too!
DeleteGood luck in the move and hooray for getting a dedicated gaming space.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Jon!
DeleteThat's a superb looking table Jennifer. I love the look of flats and these wofun are a good modern substitute.
ReplyDeleteBest wishes, James
These are by a Russian illustrator and have their own unique character, though they are mirrored each side unlike Peter Dennis'. It is kind of you to compliment the board! Once I'm settled I'll organize my more permanent pieces.
Delete