Today I'm trying a cut-down Charge!, and the Charles Grant Sawmill Village scenario, from his delightful War Game Companion.
The rules. I have several sets of rules that I can't remember where on the Internet I found them; this is one, a "dining-table" variant of Charge!
Lex must be removed from the table again...
The battlefield - three hills, three "built-up areas", an orchard, and a wall.
The Brits - From left: Werrickshire, South Essendale and Royal Kempston Regiments and a gun.
The French - Saillant, Bourbon, and Navarre Regiments, plus a gun.
Turn 1. Both sides advance, limbered or in column.
Turn 2. Columns snake into the open ground, as both guns unlimber, ready to fire next turn.
Turn 3. Units shake into line, the British still cramped. Neither gun gets a shot off.
The Kempstons and Bourbons exchange fire, causing two casualties apiece but halved for the cover between them. Red sequins count casualties.
Turn 4. Further advances. The Kempstons, holding Sawmill Village, come to grip with the Bourbons as the guns of both sides fire at medium range into infantry targets.
Navarre and Werrickshires exchange volleys, the British taking the worst of it.
12. In the village, the Kempstons, outnumbered on their flank, take six casualties to the Bourbon's three and are forced to fall back half a move - ie, an inch in the built-up area. Both units will rally next turn.Turn 5. The South Essendales (Prince of Gwyneth's Own Volunteers) move to support the Werrickshires, who stolidly march up the hill into the deadly short-range volleys of Navarre...... whilst the Saillant wheel towards the village. Guns have no effect.Turn 6. In a rare success for the British, canister kills six of the Saillant.But the French are moving to bracket the village, as the Werrickshires go into a desperate charge.My method for rolling off in one-on-one combats - toss the dice down the table, move them across from each other in order and compare.The Werrickshires win the combat, pushing the Navarre back but not off the hill.Turn 7. The Saillant swing the door shut on the village, despite another charge of canister in the face. A surprisingly good firing phase for the two French regiments causes four casualties to the defenders, despite their cover. In the background, the Essendales can be seen straggling up the hill behind the rallying Werrickshires.Turn 8. A climax of bayonets!
After two bloody melees, the lines up the hill break apart for a breather. But the Kempstons, down to sixteen men and surrounded, break, and the French now hold the village.
With all infantry rallying, the Essendales are able to get in a quite frankly unrealistic charge around the Navarre flank. Like the previous ruleset I tried, the "bucket-o-dice" CC mechanism is in play here.
The Navarre are driven off the hill.
While their opponents rally, the Werrickshires form column and head for the French gun. The gunners, having been hit by two rounds from the British gun, flee the field.
The game, I think, will end here. The French have reversed ranks and stoutly hold the village, and the battered British regiments, even with help from their intact half-battery, can't take it at this stage. Perhaps there will be a second Battle of Sawmill Village!
For the second time, rolling close combat dice kinda wore me out, and to less realistic effect in this battle. I think I will try Junior General rules next.
Interesting battle report and good to see the WoFun flats out on maneuvers. If you are open to trying other rules, my favorite is Honours of War by Keith Flint and published by Osprey. Very inexpensive and a solid system that is not complicated. Excellent community support available too.
ReplyDeleteI've read some of Flint's rules (and also his excellent history of the 6th Airborne Armoured Recon Regiment). While I like them, they're a little complex for my mind. I may try them one day.
DeleteAfter one game, HoW would be like an old friend.
DeleteYou might want to look up Simplicity in Practice as a set of rules with an old-school feel but modern sensibilities. Although I reckon the melee system needs rewriting :)
ReplyDeleteTHey were written with these classic scenarios in mind.
Thank you! Will look them up at once. The reviews I've seen suggest melee is ingeniously "different;" we'll see.
DeleteThe problem is that you roll 4D6 and total the scores, but add 2D6 for each tactical factor. Highest total wins. So the odds are massively in your favour with just one tactical factor. With two you're virtually unbeatable. And yet in his design notes the author talks about melee being unpredictable :)
DeleteI (and others) use a simple opposed D6 roll, with the factors added on. Two factors is still good, but not unassailable.
A couple of the methods I've found in my role-playing game research may work. 8+ on 2D6, for example, comes out to 50%; 7+ 60%, 6+ 70%, and so on. I'm thinking of using some RPG methods for a more "free kriegspiel" sort of wargame.
DeleteThe Wofun figures work well for the overall effect. Plus the benefit of being an instant army, as you pointed out to me previously.
ReplyDeleteRegards, James
They do look good en masse, don't they? And yes, I'm a pretty lazy gamer these days...
DeleteHave you thought of adding a follower button to allow us to follow your blog more easily and keep up to date with posts?
ReplyDeleteDidn't know there was such a thing - thanks for the heads-up.
DeleteThe "Follow by Email" gadget is apparently deactivated...
DeleteAh, found 'em. There's now a "follower" gadget at the top and a "subscribe" gadget at the bottom...
DeleteSo I've learned. I'd be curious to know what Flint thought of the close combat rolling.
ReplyDeleteThe wofun figures look outstanding.
ReplyDeleteFor rules can I recommend Jim Purkey's Fife and Drum rules? They are one page, simple to learn and easy to play. Great fun. Jim has a tutorial for them here:
https://altefritz.blogspot.com/2017/08/fife-drum-awi-rules-tutorial.html#:~:text= Fife %26 Drum AWI Rules Tutorial ,the first movement initiative can now... More
I use them for both American Rev War and War of 1812.
Thanks for the tip. I've read the rules with some confusion but haven't seen the tutorial before, that would help enormously!
Delete