Having exhausted my dice in close combat, I'm repeating the game under Junior General rules. Units fight as bases and are six bases strong. As this post explains, I'm having each base stand in for two, with casualty figures to indicate odd numbers remaining. I also took fewer photos; let's try for a shorter battle report.
The rules are those in Junior General's Saratoga scenario - it has light infantry and Built-Up Area rules.
I decided to treat the first battle as the first step of a campaign, so since the French won, they start in the village and the British must come onto the field. I used different units (the originals were badly battered by the action) and also tried Charles Grant's units for his second run-through. So instead of three infantry regiments and a gun, each side had a light infantry regiment replacing one of the line regiments.
This is a good thing, since two light infantry regiments is all I've got.
The Franco-Scots hold the village with the Borderers and the gun; the regular French units will march to their assistance later, rolling a 6 on the first turn, a 5+ on the second, etc, until they both arrive.
The Brits come on in the first two turns, starting with the Highland Company.
After turn 1, the British skirmish line is halfway to the village. The French gun's line of sight is good, but out of range.
After two turns, they're even closer, but musketry range is 6", so still no firing. The Royal Ecossais come on in response to messages from the garrison, accompanied by their brigadier. As the skirmishers move at 6", the British troops follow suit and shake into line.
On the third turn, the British come into musket range, and the Highland Company's fire into the village is deadly accurate.
The British line march back into the fight, but the 43rd Highlanders take a volley from the Ecossais. The Irish pluck up courage and charge into the British gun. The luck of the Irish is with them as the gun misses! Impressively, the gunners pass morale and then hold their ground in melee.
The 43rd desperately charge the Ecossais, settling old scores with fellow Scots in the melee and their commanders urging them on. The exiles lose this one, but the Wild Geese nearby manage to eliminate the English gun.
At this point, the British have taken severe casualties, including a precious cannon. But the French have lost their skirmishers and the village. Generals Smith and Forgeron exchange haughty nods across the field. There will be another day.A much faster and simpler game than my last try. I made enough mistakes and reversed decisions, though, that I'm even more interested in Free-Kriegspiel style now. Every game provides new ideas and seeds for the next.
Please explain what you mean by "Free-Kriegspiel."
ReplyDeleteFree Kriegspiel is what the military hit on once they tired of looking up tables and tossing dice. Instead, they picked a knowledgeable umpire and had HIM make the decisions.
DeleteThis didn't always help, because it meant the gamemaster had to do ALL the work, but it made games faster, if not necessarily more accurate. But when you're playing at division- or corps-level, you don't care what the casualties of a single battalion are - you're just asking who lost the fight and whether they ran away. A knowledgeable GM can answer that with a moment's thought - are they outnumbered? flanked? supported? militia or elites?
This is also the way I run roleplaying games with kids. Instead of making my players read two hundred pages and fill out a three-page character sheet, I just pick an appropriate target number and they roll. It works surprisingly well, and best of all no one has to remember rules.
I'm working on a blog-post about this, but you can find some of my thoughts on Quora: https://www.quora.com/profile/Jennifer-Burdoo/answers/Tabletop-Role-playing-Games
That sounds a great way to interest kids. Especially as they’re used to the computer gaming experience where they don’t have to understand the mechanisms behind what unfolds.
DeleteNundanket, that's an interesting insight! I hadn't thought about it that way before. Though generally I do dragoon my players from the computer lab - "Sit around a table with your friends instead of at a phosphor screen."
DeleteThank you! The Kriegspiel referee sounds like an early incarnation of a Dungeon Master.
DeleteIt is! DnD arose from skirmish gaming.
Delete