Some Peter Dennis-inspired modeling this week.
I experimented with a faded brown sharpie on the edges of some Wofun ECW Highlanders. The difference stands out in the mix of uncolored and colored strips, though I will also need to try a sharpie with more ink:
I built a couple knights and a tilting ground from Peter's free Jousting set, which I take credit for inspiring after I asked him for some side-on knights for jousting games!
My thought was to run a Warhammer Fantasy jousting tournament (rules from White Dwarf 215) with custom-colored paper knights, but the teens have just gotten a new 3D printer and are already printing plastic miniatures. So we are likelier to use plastic knights, though on the other hand the staff are eager for me to run a simple painting class. Will have to make the time.
Finally, I finished my Glory:1861 battalion:
| Eight companies, command base, and two field officers. |
| HQ element: Lt. Colonel, Major, Color-bearers and Musician. |
| Closeup on the troops - 18mm Paperboys, nine to a base. |
My first "battle" may simply be a "training" action of four companies a side to test the rules. Given my table size, I'm thinking of building a small Western Confederate unit for trans-Mississippi battles. The three-company Arizona Rangers, a handful of which fought at Picacho Pass, might be a fun unit to raise.

Jennifer, you are making good progress on many fronts. En masse, your ACW troops looks impressive.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Jonathan. I just wish I had a bigger table for them!
DeleteThe paper boys look very nice! I will be interested to see how the teens get on with the 3D printer, I think that technology is going to become quite important in wargaming over the next five to ten years....
ReplyDeleteThey've had some for a while, but this is a new improved version, and the miniatures they've made with it so far are much smoother and more paintable than previous attempts.
DeleteThe ACW paper figures look splendid all lined up. I think they look better than the Wofun because they don't have that thick edge to them.
ReplyDeleteI agree!
DeleteA fair point. Peter Dennis recommends not using any paper too thick (these were 100gram). And it is very relaxing to construct the paper figures. But the Wofuns are appealing for the "instant army" thing. I understand they are experimenting with thinner plastic to convert the new 10mm figures!
Delete