Sunday, December 12, 2021

Charge! at Prestonpans

"... the broadswords came whirling out of the mists at Prestonpans to fall on Major-General John Cope's redcoats and cut them to ribbons in something under five minutes." -- G.M. Fraser, Johnnie Cope in the Morning 

It didn't go too well.

As a game, I mean.

Despite its relative simplicity (it was published in the '60s, after all) Charge! is a bit messy to play. Especially with multi-based figures, because close combat is largely one-to-one. And because the morale mechanic is based on casualties alone, I have to track each unit on paper. Then track overall casualties against the original number of men, leaving out those who fled the field, and ultimately I gave up and accepted a more free-kriegspiel result. The methods I used to make the British lower-quality didn't work too well, so the Scots took a lot of casualties on their way in.

The field of battle. Five Highland clans and a handful of horse...


... facing three and a half foot regiments, a gun, and English horse.

The Scots advance, with the right unit in skirmish order.
(Highlanders may move as light infantry.)

Cavalry clash.

The Scots cavalry are broken, but the rallying British
are in range of a Highland regiment, which fires into them.

The right-hand clan spreads out to flank the Hessians.

The British troops count as militia and roll one die per ten men,
the Hessians one per eight men. At this range, the roll is halved
for casualties (marked on the slip behind the unit).

A Banshee of the Highlands appears out of the mists!
Some of the Hanoverians fall over on the shaking ground,
and the Highlanders feel a supporting paw on their backs as they
hurtle towards the enemy!

The lines meet, unluckily for the gun-crew.
The last volley kills dozens of Highlanders.

The Hessians draw their combat.

While one Highland regiment breaks, so do two
British regiments, and the gun is lost.

The British horse were close enough to their target
to avoid a volley, and draw the combat.

By my calculations, the Jacobites have about 80 men left on the field, less than half what they started with, while the Government have 79 men left. But while the Hessians and horse on the flanks have held their own, their center is gone. I think the Scots have won the day - at the cost of many of Scotland's finest.

At this point, I roll on the Jacobite Victory Table, and the Recovery Table for both sides. The Jacobites get volunteers - my choice of one Highland regiment or D3 Lowland regiments. I'll choose the latter, and two units of Lowlanders join my banner! (I also claim the enemy gun as spoils of war.)

For Recovery, the Jacobites "rally," recovering the casualties of unbroken units but failing to recover the broken regiments. The British roll the same and won't get their broken units back either.

On reflection, using Charge!, with its lack of real morale rules, probably was a mistake for the sort of morale-based battle Prestonpans was. With Stephen Simpson's rules, which I used for this same battle before, it is entirely possible for the British line to break on the first turn!

On to Edinburgh and Stirling! Unless I repeat this under a simpler ruleset. Time will tell...


8 comments:

  1. I like 'Charge' and my own rule set owes quite a lot to it. There IS a morale rule in Charge! - the 50% rule. Very simple, though others prefer something a little more sophisticated. I gather Brigadier Peter Young allowed that he didn't want morale rules more elaborate as he 'didn't want to blame his army' for his defeats.

    But I think you are right that Charge! id inconvenient if you're using multi-bases. And of course, you don't have the choice with the figures pictured here. You could bring in a Strength Point system. In a way that was what you were doing, but instead of 18 SPs for an 18-figure cavalry unit, how about 3 SP per stand (I am inferring that each cavalry stand is 6 figures). Once the stand reaches 0SP, it gets removed. An 8-figure infantry stand has 4 SP, and an artillery element, 2SP.

    OK, you would have to adjust the shooting and close combat dice score to accommodate. I suggest 1 D6 per stand, with 5-6 the standard requirement to hit an remove a SP. If the fighting unit has some advantage (target enfiladed, heavy cavalry vs light, infantry in square vs cavalry, etc then a 4 is good enough to hit. If disadvantaged in some way, then only a 6 will hit. Gunnery will require more elaborate treatment, of course.

    Losses to SPs would have to be marked in some way: counters, a number marker (a die, say), or some symbolic marker, such as a casualty figure or a small pebble.

    Having said all that, I have seen the type of figures you are using in 'Portable Wargames'. You might want to check them out. Author, Bob Cordery (his blog spot 'Wargames Miscellany').
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read several of the Portable Wargames, and bought gridded sheets specifically to try them, but haven't absorbed them yet. The SP-type games that most appeal to me presently are Featherstone iterations found on Natholeon's Blog. Other options are Stephen Simpson's 18th-century rules (very simple, with one to three SPs per regiment), and Junior General's generic rules with six bases and 5 SPs to a unit (but that would require smaller bases on my table, and I am considering playing it with Peter Dennis' new 10mms).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Getting rules to suit the Jacobite Rebellion is quite a tricky undertaking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another way around multi-based figures may be to treat each base as 1 man for the rules. The table looks busy, but the procedures remain simple

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Junior General uses that method, starting typically with six bases per unit and eliminating the unit once it's down to one base. There are scenarios for all three battles of the '45; I haven't tried them since I haven't had enough bases until now.

      Delete
  5. I'll stick to commenting on the more general aspects; the game looked grand. I'd encourage a re-fight!
    On rules, I am completely cavalier. Take the bits that you like and replace the rest with a better system from elsewhere (or your own version thereof)! You can replace actual numbers of men with proportions that have effects for morale (testing or such) and perhaps reduce effectiveness. So, replace actual kills with a chance of losing the some proportion of figures. That way you are recording accumulated losses of important percentages 5, 10, 25...? A 'miss' means to few to count.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am planning to replay it using some very basic rules by Stephen Simpson and Aelred Glidden. No casualties to worry about.

      Delete