Saturday, January 15, 2022

Experimental painting

 Ever since the library's teen tech-lab, YouMedia, started a Dungeons & Dragons group and got a new 3D printer a few months ago, I've been eager to try painting again. The initial plan was to sit down the DnD players with their new character minis and teach the basics of painting; the current, tentative plan is to open this up to all teens. This may seem like the same thing, since virtually all high-schoolers at my branch end up in YouMedia - it's nearly impossible to run teen programs outside of it, so we really haven't. But my manager wants me to try, to the point of actual advertising with posters and the library's social media. The YouMedia staff, luckily, are okay with this, since it can still be done in or next to YouMedia and they can spend a few minutes talking up the program to any kids who aren't already in it. It does at least let us get to kids under the age-fourteen limit, and maybe interest parents too.

That does mean we'll need extra minis beyond the ones designed by the DnD players; something generic is in order, possibly animals, videogame characters or ordinary medieval warriors or civilians. We'd pick a few types, and print a couple dozen ahead of time for anyone who hasn't already designed their own. Suggestions welcomed, though I lean towards animals for the appeal to younger kids. Perhaps suffragettes for Women's History Month?

Civilians from Paperboys Little Wars.

The one on the far right is hand-drawn, inspired by Man of Tin.

So I "borrowed" a tyrannosaur from some of the samples YouMedia have been cranking out, and bought a handful of Army Painter bottles and a few Contrast paints.

About 15mm scale, I think, and is poorly balanced.
Based with Army Painter Ash Grey and a basic brush.
Will use spraypaint in future.
"Basecoated" with Ork Flesh Contrast paint.
Sorry for the poor lighting.
Scar Tissue mouth and Troll Claws on
the teeth and claws.
Crude stripes in Matt Black. Also tried
highlighting with Goblin Green and Skeleton Bone;
doubt it's visible even in good light.
Better view of the stripes, which I tried
(but failed) to taper.
Paint pens would work better.
Complete with base to keep him standing.

This should be a good sample to show what a beginner painter can make of the models the new printer makes. Having painted a couple from the older printer, I'm surprised at how smooth and realistic this model is; it was remarkably easy and fun to do. Even counting drying of the different layers, might have taken an hour (though a few days working in my spare time). I do suspect a proper event might require two days even with prebasing.

I next hope to try a large bust of Groot (the Treeman from Guardians of the Galaxy), which should show off Gore-Grunta Contrast paint to effect and be easy to drybrush as well (with good-sized brushes, of course).

It's been a long while since I tried to paint something like this; I'm looking forward to trying again, and getting some teens to do it with me!

2 comments:

  1. The dinosaur worked out well for less than an hour's painting time.

    ReplyDelete