Been a while since I looked at my 1/72 Zulu War figures; I'd forgotten how few of them I'd based. I started with about sixty Zulu and twenty redcoats just for small games of TSATF, and it seems I also finished a squadron of lancers, a handful of gun crews and thirty Natal Native Contingent. There are actually a lot more troops for both sides. What I have will do for now, as I intend to stick to The Sword in Africa for now. I'll use the Zulu as tribal proxies, and the gun crews might stand in for Belgians or Germans in a pinch.
The Zulu are very attractive; I bought them off Ebay from a painter who individualized each unit with differing shields. They're delicate, though; the kit clearly came with separate spears and shields and some require repair.
![]() |
| A smallish horde of Zulu. |
| White, brown and black shields. |
| Black and white shields. |
| White and brown shields. |
| Black shields with white spots. |
| White shields. |
| A squadron of lancers, and a company of redcoats. |
| Gatling gun crew, and either surveyor or heliograph crew. |
| Natal Native Contingent, and a naval Gardner battery. |

nice little collection
ReplyDeleteThanks. There's more of it around, but I'm unlikely ever to play very large games with it, so this works for now.
DeleteThese look great Jennifer. I really like all the different patterns that you have done for the shields of the various impis.
ReplyDeleteFor the uninitiated, what is TSATF?
Regards, James
Not my designs - these are bought off ebay. TSATF is The Sword and the Flame, an old classic ruleset for colonial warfare that was one of my introductions to wargaming. I'll be recording some games soonish.
DeleteI agree with James on the shields. The slight pattern variations really make an interesting sight when en masse.
ReplyDeleteThe patterns are delightful, and help to differentiate the units into the bargain.
Delete