Today I ran a game at work. It was a bit messy, in part because it was done in a busy teen tech lab. At different times I had anywhere from two to five active players, plus a staff member taking photos!
The other reason was complaints about and hasty changes to the rules, but I'll come to that.
The rules were given me by Shawn Medero in a comment on my previous post. They're by Paul le Long, from Lone Warrior, the solo wargaming zine, and have much in common with FATE/FUDGE, to the extent that you roll four three-siders for each task. I only had three FATE dice handy, so stuck to regular dice rolling 1-2, 3-4, 5-6 to represent -, blank or + on the resolution chart.
![]() |
| The field of battle. |
![]() |
| A halfling village and its defenders... |
![]() |
| ... are menaced by goblin skirmishers ... |
![]() |
| ... and a regiment of goblin warriors coming out of the forests. |
![]() |
| The gobbos advance. |
![]() |
| Approaching the village. |
![]() |
| The badly-outnumbered halflings hide in their cropfield, though some stay near the edge to shoot out. |
![]() |
| Luckily, better armed and -armoured halfling militia have mobilized and are heading for the hill. Horns have been heard from potential allies... |
![]() |
| Who appear on the edge of the battlespace. |
![]() |
| The goblins split up; some to await the Men, the rest to take the village. |
After this, I failed to take photos for a while. Basically, the goblin archers and spearmen advanced to attempt burning the buildings; due to poor rolls they initially failed and had to get to close range before managing to burn a cabin. This enabled the defenders to fight them to a standstill, as some "No, and" and "Yes, but" results caused the gobbos to run out of ammo and have to resort to knives and teeth. The halflings also took a lot of casualties, though.
![]() |
| ... which rolled a 2. |
![]() |
| So the Men and Halflings fled the smouldering village. |
On the up side:
- The players were enthusiastic and engaged, asking pertinent questions and coming up with offbeat solutions.
- One at least was familiar with Warhammer Fantasy and understood the conventions of the genre.
- Two asked if they could play again tomorrow!
On the down side:
- One felt the chart was unfair; he thought it should be more even, or at least the results should be clearer. Not as interested in free-kriegspiel, I guess.
- He also felt the entire scenario was unbalanced, with the halflings badly outnumbered and having to wait a long while for their reinforcements. More even sides tomorrow, then.
- Finally, the terrain effects were unclear - for example, the forests are not obviously delineated. He was also unused to having to ask questions about the situation or to suggest effects on his own - so the use of the hill was not obvious. He did like that, when he asked if he could move faster, I offered him the option to force-march by taking a double move in exchange for not moving next turn while his militia rested.
So basically, more structure appears preferable. I will bring Dragon Rampant and see if it works better. FKR may not work as well as I hoped, at least not without more experienced players!
I'm also considering the Perrys' Travel Battle, a small gridded game that might seem more familiar and "gamist" to the teens.
So tomorrow, with luck, another round?













Sounds pretty positive overall. I like the idea of the students coming up with pertinent questions (like the weather one) and solutions. Good to encourage thinking. But I guess some people prefer a bit more certainty, balance and structure. Hard to get the right balance that suits all participants.
ReplyDeleteThat is tricky. One of the issues about the similar role-playing I hope to do is that the simplest, easiest rules are barely structured at all - but structure helps bring the players back, in my experience. If they've gotten experience points and bought new skills and equipment, they're likelier to turn up again so that they can use them.
Delete