Sunday, April 17, 2022

Free Kriegspiel Fantasy Wargaming

 I'm now actively planning some fantasy roleplay and figure-painting at work, with the help of the teen tech lab. While the programs won't be until summer, and I can't even advertise them until graphics sends me back some posters, I still intend to tease the game with some lite, impromptu gaming. Happily, Peter Dennis has published a small selection of fantasy figures to go with his Russian-fantasy mutants. I received a copy of Daniel Mersey's Dragon Rampant this week, which I will try with these figures. But for promotion with the teens, I'll make it simple and use some of the same rules as I'll be using in my Dungeons-and-Dragons pastiche.

A phalanx of goblins supported by skirmishers with spear and bow:

Will invade the Moot to face off against hobbits halflings:


Backed by Men of the Forest:


I haven't run fantasy battles with free-kriegspiel before, but I intend to do it as I did an 18th-century game last year, possibly with FUDGE dice. Another post will discuss the simple RPG rules I intend for my summer campaign.

My cat keeps stepping on the keyboard as I try to finish, so will stop here for now. Hopefully I will have a battle report next week!

2 comments:

  1. You might be interested in this Lone Warrior article where the author uses Fudge dice to play out an American Revolution battle: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18WuYhaVUNubN16PVdt6bsQa5i0V-h5l0/view?usp=sharing

    (I can't find the link on their website anymore but I'm almost certain it was one of the free articles they hand out from time to time.)

    ReplyDelete