Today's South Florida Miniatures Gamers (SMG) meeting was to learn the classic DBA (3rd editon). Member Jim, eager to introduce us to his favorite game, provided six boards and a dozen armies for about ten of us to try. The club generally does 18th century and up, so this was new to most of us. I got in two games.
The first was between Hundred Years War English and ancient Egyptians. (For whatever reason, the French weren't available.) I ended up playing Jim, which meant this actually resembled my home solo games quite a bit because he was moving about answering questions from the other players. This made the game fairly relaxing, and I had plenty of time to contemplate my moves.
![]() |
| Bottom: two units of knights, seven of archers, and two of men-at-arms on foot. Top: Four chariots, four archers, four spearmen. |
My opponents:
We rolled for weather, and on a 1, the fields were wet and boggy. So much for the chariots! In the knowledge they couldn't reach me, I aimed to do an end-around of the Egyptian right with my knights (below).What I hadn't considered was that this put them in range of the Egyptian archers. They spread out and concentrated on my commander unit, on the grounds that if the commander is destroyed and his side has lost more units, his side loses. So if your general is the first casualty... luckily the dice were with me. Not only did I win most of the roll-offs (higher scores force your opponent back, while doubling their score kills them), Jim kept rolling ones for activation, meaning he could only move one of his units.The mobility of cavalry makes a difference however, and finally two of the chariots raced over to cut me off. By that time, I'd shot away some of his archers and had also got my knights into position to charge. I won by destroying four of his twelve units before he'd killed more than one of mine.![]() |
| It turns out pike phalanxes can hold pretty darn well against rampaging pachyderms. |
![]() |
| Flanking makes a difference, too. |
![]() |
| A 2x2 carpet square, fields, hills (that can double as forests), a handful of lichen, and two measuring sticks. |










Looks like a fun introduction for you to DBA. Ahistorical matchups? Heresy!
ReplyDeleteI've tried it before, solo, with Peloponnesian Paperboys. This was definitely better than trying to grok the rules myself! Solo gaming is all very well but there is much to be said for being part of a community.
DeleteI agree. Always helpful to have a seasoned veteran as a rules’ guide.
DeleteI've played it for a long, long time ( first edition). It's a fun, quick game with minimal space and figure requirements. If you are interested in fantasy games, or other time periods you may want to try the spin off rules, Hordes of the Things (Hott).
ReplyDeleteWhat attracted me to Jim's set in particular was his measuring sticks, which are cut to measure the same 40mm bases as Paperboys. And as there's now a Fantasy selection...
Delete