Sunday, May 8, 2022

Falkirk in FKR mode

 My '45 campaign has fallen by the wayside. I've done an awful lot of reading since, and experimented with a lot of rules, which is half the reason the campaign has been problematic. If I ever settle on a single ruleset, I might re-run it. Next year maybe.

Today, I'll try using the solo Free Kriegspiel rules I tried at work a couple weeks ago:

Despite the bloody nose they had at the border, the government are on the move, with twelve infantry units, three cavalry and four guns.

Against this, the rebel Scots have eight infantry (half elite), one French cavalry regiment, and three guns.

Using the Black Powder campaign, I have the choice of two scenarios:

  • The Spey: An abortive river-crossing action during the real war, but one that could have happened. Requires good timing on the part of the rebel player, who must decide the right time to move out of cover (against enemy guns) and attack the crossing government army.
  • Falkirk proper: Initially a cavalry advance against high ground, with fire reduced by the weather. This would at least even things for the rebels, which I might need as they are outnumbered three-to-two.

There are scenarios for both in CS Grant's Programmed Wargames Scenarios; in fact what I would use for Falkirk, Hill Line Defence, is the first and simplest in the book. Okay, I'll do Falkirk.

The table and layout are based on a map from Wikipedia that I can't add to the blogpost for some reason.

A patch of carpet represents swampy ground, black cards an impassable ravine. Moves and ranges will be based on Simpson's rules as well:

  • Infantry line, guns: 5cm.
  • Cavalry line, infantry column: 10cm.
  • Cavalry column: 15cm.
  • Musketry: 10cm.
A few certainties for the result table:

Owing to bad weather, all units have three turns of fire.

Victory conditions: If one side has lost or retreated with half its units, the game ends.

After first removing an uncooperative cat (left) the table is set (right):



Rebels:


Government:


Turn One: The government advance. The Highlanders roll to see whether they hold their ground, and score "Yes, But." They don't charge, but do fire off one of their volleys to zero effect, as the enemy are out of range.

The British horse canter forward, not quite in range to charge next turn.
I have got to get better lighting in here...

Turn Two: The French cavalry countercharge one of the British regiments, on the Likely row for downhill impetus: "Yes, but." They drive back the British, but are themselves forced to retreat. The rightmost Highlanders roll to not charge the cav in their front, at even odds because it's obviously not good for infantry to charge cavalry: +2. They hold their ground and fire instead, with a result of -2 for "No." No effect on the British.


Turn Three: Further advance. As the French and one British horse regiment rally, the rest of the horse charge up the slope into the Highlanders. Even odds this time for the Brits going uphill and the Highlanders fighting cavalry. I roll "no, but" and interpret this to mean the Highlanders don't break, but are forced back.


There is a firefight, with a +1 for the chaps on the far right of the British line who outflank the Scots. "Yes buts" all around; the Scots take casualties and are out of ammo, but are enraged enough to charge! 

As a clan slams into the Hessians, the Irish behind stand their ground.
On "Likely to win assault," the clans score (left to right): even, +1, +1, -2, -2, +1, +4. The English are forced back on the left, hold their ground in the center, and the right hand unit breaks and is eliminated.

Push of Pike (or bayonet!)
Turn Three: The British right flank pivots into the Scots; they are Grenadiers, so I would say they're Very Likely to Win. Nonetheless, they roll -2, meaning No, But. I interpret this to mean the fight degenerates into a free-for-all and the English are winning.


The other infantry melees roll No, But twice and Yes, But twice. On the No's, the battle does not end but the Scots are pushed back, on Yes but, the Scots retreat but the Government do not pursue.

Do the resting cavalry recover? French No, British Yes, But - so both retain their positions but the Brits are not ready to charge again.

How goes the cav vs. clan battle? The cav roll Yes, But. The Scots retreat, but the cavalry is exhausted and cannot pursue. Too bad, as in that case they could chase the Scots from the table.

Too bad, as in that case they could chase the Scots from the table.

Turn Four:

Do the British horse charge? Yes, but they'll be exhausted afterwards. This will be an even fight then, and the British win it, driving the French Horse from the field.

Melees again, rolling for the British. Do they win? No, Yes But, No, No, Yes And. Five British units retreat in disorganization; two force their Scottish enemies to retreat but are exhausted, and the leftmost Highlanders, flanked by British grenadiers, are overwhelmed and removed.

Kinda a repeat of my previous fight here; The rebels are flanked at both ends but the Government center (see next pic) is disintegrating.


Turn Five: 

Do the Scottish infantry facing the horse rally? Seems Unlikely. They have a No, But. They haven't recovered, but at least they're still on the board.

Do the retreating masses of British infantry rally? Unlikely under the circumstances; all score No and continue to fall back. (One is a militia regiment and thus has been dropping a line on the chart.)

How about the column that won its battle? Yes, But it won't advance. It fires instead (final volley) and is Likely to win the firefight. It does, so the Scots opposite retreat.

Will the Scots follow up their victories? 50/50 after all that fighting: Yes, But. Okay, they rally but are too tired to move far. They shore up their line ready to fight all the grenadiers to their left.

Do the victorious Brits and Hessians on the right flank rally? I would say Likely, and Yes; they dress their lines and swerve towards the rebel left flank. The Irish, the only reserve, move to face them.

I think we're getting on toward twilight here.
Turn Six (and last, given it's getting late): 

Do the tired British cavalry retreat? I'd say Likely. Yes they do, And they retreat off the board into the evening mist. The tired rebel right has held on by its fingernails.

Do the rest of the British infantry also retreat off the board? Likely. Yes, But they do so in good order.

Will the grenadiers make a fight of it? Unlikely, given they are now unsupported. No, But again they retreat in good order.

The Scottish rebels have won the day!

One British foot regiment is eliminated, and one clan regiment. I roll on the campaign recovery table - the Scots recover their lost unit, while the British don't, plus their militia unit deserts. Then the Scots roll on their victory table - 5. They raise a second cavalry regiment.

Will the British regroup and advance again into the Highlands, or will the Scots push south into England again? Time will tell...

I think these "narrative" rules worked fairly well. Some granularity to track casualties and morale might come in handy, but given that casualties in the period were relatively low, I think the total destruction of just one regiment apiece makes sense; we can assume that time and typical recruiting will bring the others back up to strength for the next battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment