Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Building Battery Wagner, Part Two

 My next step is to put the paper pieces of Wagner together.

Prospective field of battle. Sadly, I don't think the screen's
hooked up yet, or I could play scenes from Glory on it.
Subassemblies, tentatively arranged on a sheet of cardboard.
Final arrangement taped down, with six guns and
three regiments of Confederates.
The arrangement took a little work - I realized partway through that there wasn't enough room behind the walls to hold all the troops needed (six 60mm bases apiece), and moved everything forward on the card. Also, one of the units (31st North Carolina) had been recently paroled and was avoiding combat in a bombproof shelter; I'm thinking of placing a box in that position (on the right of the fort from this angle), and rolling to see if they come out. If not a box, I'll draw a rectangle. There will be a fourth regiment (32nd Georgia) as reinforcements if needed (though I doubt it). I may have to run the Rebs as GM, since I wouldn't blame my players for not wanting to run the bad guys, and it also wouldn't really be fair on one side given the carnage I expect. The Union will get six regiments, and possibly some bombardment assistance from the US Navy.

Next Monday is Juneteenth, as of last year a Federal holiday. If I can ready the troops and board fast enough I'll run it this week or next. Alternatively, I could run it next month near the July 18 anniversary of the battle.

Aside from this, I had a teen start building his first RPG character (to play Thursday if I don't run Wagner instead), and my library system is about to start a pilot program of circulating board games, which we received this week:
I also hope to visit the club this Saturday for some more DBA. So there's plenty to look forward to!

No comments:

Post a Comment