Sunday, June 19, 2022

DB Oops

 Participated in a small club tournament yesterday. De Bellis Antiquitatis was so popular last time that it went off swimmingly.

Game one was between Romans (me) and Carthaginians (my opponent). 


While he was new to DBA too, he had the advantage of familiarity with the troops and tactics. So, for example, he was sanguine when I assaulted light cavalry with my heavy, knowing they could just run away. Our generals met on the field, and mine was flanked and thus eliminated when he lost, ending the game quickly.

In my second game, the sides were reversed:

I discovered that light cavalry could move multiple times in a turn, and raced mine in an end-around hoping to reach my opponent's camp. Didn't go too well. Both of us being inexperienced, we asked for lots of help with the rules and ended the game without a decision.
My third game was nearly a repeat of one from last month, Playing Classical Indians with elephants again, I managed to avoid running them onto Alexandrian pikes this time, but was badly compressed by terrain and never got many of my troops into action.
In the meantime, my opponent's light cavalry took my camp, and I didn't realize I could try to take it back until near the end of the game.

So, having ended up with approximately three points over the course of the tourney (the winner amassed 25), I received the coveted Snake Eyes award:

As usual, the conversation and food were the highlight of the day. We had a potluck, and there were favorable comments on the overstuffed sandwiches I brought from my favorite deli. I picked up a copy of DBA 3.0, some more terrain (including a sandy sheet I will use for the Fort Wagner scenario), and was gifted with a small selection of Spanish Civil War figures by one of the members. Post to follow. Happy gaming!

4 comments:

  1. Even in defeat, sounds like a good day out for you AND you still brought home a trophy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought a GI Joe would be a fun reference. It was a fine experience, though I'll need to be more familiar with the rules before trying it again.

      Delete
  2. DBA is a great tournament ruleset. I have 22 people pitching up for a tournament in Bakewell UK 0n 2 July. Tin Soldier UK are kindly donating prizes.

    Cheers

    Simon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very much a beginner's tourney, but arranged like a regular one by folks who'd done it before. Good luck on your own!

      Delete