Sunday, July 10, 2022

My Colonial Collection, Part Six: The Mutiny

How do I get myself into these things?

More sidetracking on the hobbyist's road, bought on the spur of the moment from a fellow on Facebook's Colonial Wargaming group. This time, the Indian Mutiny of 1857 - though with a little fiddling I suppose I might get an 1840s Sikh skirmish in there too. These are mixed 28mms and painted. Very nice figures and paintjob, with only a few minor repairs to make so far.

Not sure how I'll store them. My method with soft plastics - just bunging them into toolboxes - won't work. Will lay them in bubble wrap until I find some foam packing.

Two Indian officers - possibly mutineer commanders

Twenty-three Sikhs, including two officers, musician and two colours
Sixteen Gurkhas
Sixteen 64th Regiment (Second Staffordshire)
Fifteen 84th Regt (York and Lancaster, including two standards.
Sixteen First Madras Fusiliers, including two standards.
Sixteen 93rd Highlanders, including two cased colours.
Three dozen assorted Company European troops.


Twelve 92nd Highlanders, officer and gun.
Fourteen Pathans. I was just writing the other day that
I haven't got any Pathans yet...
Elephant on scenic base. The umbrella has come off.

Thirty rebel sepoys, in the later lack of uniform.
Also a gun crew and Scottish piper.

Assorted civilians. The two at front right could be Kim
and his lama.
Two wagons with bullocks to pull them.

Most units, like the previous lot, are too small for standard The Sword and the Flame, but I'll figure something out. There's one collector of this period already in the local club - perhaps we can get together and run a game. There's a little damage from shipping - in particular, I'll have to reattach standard bearers to their standards - but overall a nice haul. Not enough mutineers for a real battle, but some of the uniformed loyal Sepoys could stand in. A skirmish campaign might also work.

4 comments:

  1. Thats quite a collection you have got your hands on there - as you say, nicely painted too. I look forward to seeing you get them into action!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too - I just need some inspiration first. Maybe a reread of Flashman is in order.

      Delete
  2. That's a great acquisition! Been toying with this period for a few years. Haven't taken the plunge yet though. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure yet what to do with it, but it was worth the purchase.

      Delete