Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Cardboard Mountains

My first exposure to colonial gaming was the classic Tremorden Rederring's Wargames Page. The breadth of imagination and creativity in that site remains inspiring. Having gotten hold of some Northwest Frontier figures, I decided to build some cardboard mountains, as described on the site here: Mountains for Colonial-era Wargames

One thing that appeals to me about this method is that it reminds me of building simple ruins, using similar methods, for Warhammer 40,000 back when I first started gaming. Another is that it's so easy and relaxing that I can do it in an odd few minutes even whilst watching TV or reading a book online. 

The first "profile" hill.
I added a small "cave" for a sniper.
Construction visible here.
The Pathans are next to have their edges brushed with
Agrax Earthshade.
Good scale for the 18mms.

More of these, at a few different heights, will make ridges. Two or three ridges to a table will, artfully placed, effectively increase the size of my tiny table. This might be a useful craft project for work as well.

4 comments:

  1. I remember these - and recall being impressed by their utility. Something that I think might be worth following up. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I found most memorable was how they can, in a sense, increase the length of the table by dividing it to make a zig-zag valley, as demonstrated in one of the illustrations on the site. There's fodder for a scenario right there - exactly what you want out of the best terrain!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the link. Think I've seen these on Tradgardmastare's blog before. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check, don't remember seeing them there. Thanks!

      Delete