After my last confused solo game, I went back and looked at a couple "simpler" variants of The Sword and the Flame. I picked out the Maxwellian Variant, from the old Major General's site, as my next ruleset. It's cut-down and simplified, particularly morale checks and shooting (for one thing, it only uses D6 dice). This is in theory to enable larger games, but should just as easily make smaller games quicker to play. It fits on four printed pages, easier to read than the QRS sheets from the rulebook.
Ironically, while I was browsing the 'net today searching for other thoughts on TSATF, I came across this...
![]() |
| Found at Sword And The Flame | Miniature Addiction |
... which would really have come in handy in that last game! The author points out that any given turn has about six points where a morale test must be taken, which makes it a more important mechanic than I'd remembered. The chart above is a useful reminder of when and which to take.
Also while browsing, I was reminded of Mike Snook, a popular author in colonial circles but one I'd not yet read. I idly punched his name into Amazon and came across this one:
Get this: the Kindle version, as I write, is on sale for $0.99 USD!
How could I resist?
So I know what I'll be reading this weekend. What else, anyway, as you'll know if you keep tabs on that list of books to the upper left.
Happy reading.

The Major General’s site was a favorite when I was a kid, countless hours were spent reading his battle reports. I’m really happy that someone else knows of that group’s work and is able to use it. Some of the best gaming I’ve ever seen, and a lot of happy memories reading and drooling over the creativity there!
ReplyDeleteIt inspired me at the start of my gaming career - only bad luck that the local stores just had Warhammer. There's a lot to dig into, and I see comments on it all the time - it's a genuine classic!
Delete