Friday, July 22, 2022

Guns From Far Places

I visited a gun shop this morning, looking for a padded container for my new Mutiny figures, and bought a rifle case which should be able to hold most of them. It'll be heavy once loaded down with pewter, but beats the alternative. 

Beyond that, I had a diverting talk with the proprietor, who specializes in historical collectibles and shares some of my interests. He kindly showed off two of his pieces: an 18th century Japanese matchlock and an 1893 Mauser.

The matchlock in my new case.
The hexagonal barrel and decoration.

More decoration, including the Imperial chrysanthemum.
The slowmatch passes through the hole in front of the trigger...
... and through the hole above the flower in the lock,
thence to the hammer and into the pan when the trigger is pressed.

Sadly, my photos of the Mauser were crap, but the maker's mark was curious - a Jewish maker with a Star of David for the mark. The Mauser was for sale for $500 USD; that sounds surprisingly affordable for a century-old weapon! I will try to get better shots of it another time.

A profitable morning out!

2 comments:

  1. That looks a very big case for your models. You must have a lot.
    The matchlock looks beautiful. The stock looks very short.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not quite get ALL the figs into it, over two hundred though, and it's not quite tight enough to lift by the handle without them sliding to the bottom - but it'll do.

      Delete