Two years of blogging. Still a bit surprised I've kept this up, but then again it may have been the blog that kept me going.
Not nearly so much gaming played as read about, but that's typical for me. Here's the wargaming goals I set myself a year ago:
- Finish my solo '45 campaign.
- Done, with help but in style. Thank you, George.
- Start a solo colonial campaign using The Sword in Africa.
- Nope. Did get to play a game at Recon, though.
- Run some more of Over the Hills and Far Away.
- Nope.
- Run some more of Glory:1861.
- Nope.
- Play some more Portable Wargames.
- Nope. This is looking bad, isn't it?
- Go to a convention!
- Now that I did, and got a whole four blogposts out of it into the bargain. It was an enjoyable experience and I'm happy I pushed myself to do it.
Whether I get to the next one depends on whether I'm still here. I'm looking for jobs not in Florida, at the moment. So one goal for the next year is to get off my butt and:
- Run Picacho Pass, soon. Now that I have some appropriate terrain and useful rules, I just have to, er, learn the rules. Maybe in the next couple months.
- Get started with VBCW. Now I've got some appropriate minis and the Xenos Rampant rules, I can do some solo playtesting.
- Another solo thing - the Mike Lambo English Civil War rules. I should be able to use my Memoir '44 board and tiles to recreate the hexgrids in his scenarios.
- Playing the solo Charles Grant scenarios, with 18th-century imagi-nations. Rules are up in the air here, kinda like the '45 campaign. I want to do the Junior General Leuthen scenario one of these days, but don't QUITE have enough minis yet. A couple packs of the 18mm Wofuns may cover it, but then the 10mm Wofuns are also on the way... we'll see.
- Run a historical game at work. Juneteenth and 4th of July are coming up, I really ought to be able to fit one in. And that model of Battery Wagner is still sitting by my desk... not in great condition but the kids won't care.
- Do The Sword In Africa thing. Possible, maybe if I can get anyone at the club to come in on a Sunday. Remote games might work too - any takers?
- Something Northwest Frontierish, just because I've never gotten to play anything in that particular period/niche. Not sure how. There are a few semi-solo campaigns for the genre out there; the one in Grant's Programmed Scenarios might suit. I want to run it with Bob Cordery's Bundok and Bayonet, which might assuage my guilt over not doing much with Portable Wargames.
The RPG types Over the Hills and Glory: 1861 fell by the wayside, mostly because they aren't really playable solo. I'm sorry about that, because the creation/design phase of gaming appeals most to me. I enjoy those pencil-and-paper RPGs, too, which start out with some worldbuilding, setting up what the group wants to play. If I thought I could get my local group (or my teens) to do them on a regular basis, maybe I'll try again.
Hmm, maybe if I have the teens build a map to play on? I've seen another librarian on Facebook do it...
As usual, I'm a butterfly. Too many ideas, too little time. But then, that's half the reason I started this blog in the first place - talking and writing about games is more than half the fun! Thanks for following me on the journey, whether you're lurking or replying - every little bit helps.
Congrats on the blog anniversary! Don’t beat yourself up on not achieving all your goals this year - just maybe don’t set so many in the future. Knowing that I’m bound to fail I never set any. Lol.
ReplyDeleteI refer you to the Bill Watterson quote on the left.
DeleteCongratulations on keeping the posts turning over for two years! Leaving Florida? To where are you off?
ReplyDeleteAnywhere that isn't Florida, though my next interview is back home in Tucson.
Deletehappy second blogaversary. Most of the time I have found that blogging has increased my enjoyment of this silly hobby Mooost of the time.
ReplyDeleteSometimes it's a damn drag. It's a complex relationship.
I've enjoyed our online interactions. 😀
I totally understand. It's tiring sometimes, but like my travel journal, I find that if I keep at it, my memories of what I was doing are more vivid.
DeleteCongratulation on a 2 year anniversary. Being in the blogging ecosphere is quite rewarding. And we are all butterflies.
ReplyDeleteThank you. I've discovered a bigger community than I thought existed.
DeleteCongratulations. Keep up the great work. I suspect we all fall short on our wargaming goals. I know I do. But small progress is still some progress.
ReplyDeleteI used to try to do something - anything - every day, whether that was painting one layer of paint on a figure or clipping one model from the sprue. These days, it's more "read a few pages."
DeleteCongratulations on your second blogaversary! As for hobby goals, I like to treat them as a fallback plan when I have hobby time but can't think of something else I want to do. Best wishes on the job hunt and getting out of FL!
ReplyDeleteI'll keep that in mind - a good way to think about it. Thanks!
Delete