Sunday, May 28, 2023

VBCW and Xenos Rampant

Finished Xenos Rampant. I must say, after 40K it's pretty refreshing to have simpler mechanisms. I'm still a bit iffy about the activation rolls (having tried a round of The Men Who Would Be Kings where neither side did anything for turns on end), but it seems to have been modified, in the sense that the roll is now on 2d6 rather than 1d6. Having units be more abstract is a little tricky, too, especially since I may try this with beginners at work. The zombie rules in particular would be useful for a Halloween-themed game.

My first step is to experiment with Very British Civil War. If I stick with what I bought on the first day at Recon, this will be on a very small scale. The standard army is 24 points.

Mountie command - Light Infantry, Reduced Model Unit, 1 point.

Mountie rifles - Light Infantry, 1 point.

Left, Mounties with rifles. Right, the Inspector,
a grizzled Sergeant, and Scotty the wolfhound.

Welsh Guards with bayonets - Heavy Infantry, Assault Doctrine, 4 points.

Summer Sailors - Light Infantry, 1 point.

Vs.

Winter Sailor Command - Light Infantry, 1 point.

Winter Sailors - Light Infantry, 1 point.

Winter Sailors with Lewis gun - Light Infantry, Heavy Weapon, 3 points.

Winter Sailors with SMGs and Molotov cocktails - Light Infantry, Area Effect, Close Quarters Doctrine, 1 point.

This is six points for the sailors, and seven for the other lot. I could add to the boys in blue:

Open-topped truck with added Vickers gun - Soft-skin vehicle, Single Model Unit, Technical, 3 points.

The sailors steal a civilian vehicle and bolt on a Vickers gun
from the ship's armory before setting out for their objective.

And upgrade the RCMP units to Recon for 2 points. Given their red coats, this may not fit, as Recon are supposed to be Hard to Target! Perhaps it could be attributed to their open-order skirmishing?

That would be nine points a side. Cover the field in pine trees, add a cabin and maybe a stream, and we're set for a (very small) action in the backwoods.

Another possibility for more points would be to count all units as Heavy, making them more effective, and/or perhaps count the Guard section as Increased Squad Size to improve their hit points and combat scores. But I think I'll stick to the simpler versions for now. And I won't use commander traits, either, which are a little too random for my taste anyway.

On a larger scale, ALL of the above could be added to an armored car or two for a full 24-point army, which would face off against the 8th-Army types with their tank and transports. Possibly for a remote game, once I have the rules internalized.

So with lists ready, next post - unless I have a painting or work post instead - will be an experimental battle report.

17 comments:

  1. Don't forget in these rules LI and softskin vehicles move for free, HI shoot for free. So make all your free moves before starting on actions you'll have to dice for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip. When I first tried TMWWBK, I was stymied by the fact that my free moves were useless - free move? Already where it wants to be. Free shooting? Out of range... The 2d6 activation might help with that.

      Delete
    2. You can shoot more that the stated range, just add +1 to the targets armour. Also don't forget to fire fight, I do. Being able to move for free can work for you. Just keep pushing up to take ground and cover objectives. Also some commander traits let you shoot units for free.

      Delete
    3. Try giving your commanders a Psychic power. For VBCW they're just an officer shouting at his men.

      Delete
    4. Ah, good tips there! I'll try those options.

      Delete
  2. Also LI can't have Area Effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I needed something for flames, so swiped it from the Xenomorphs profiles.

      Delete
  3. Excellent! If you're looking for a 40k replacement check out One Page Rules. Welcome to AVBCW too. I've produced AVBCW lists for OPR. http://luddite1811.blogspot.com/2023/05/a-very-british-civil-war-1939-battle-of.html
    I also did a VBCW conversion of Dan Mersey's great Dux Bellorum rules. http://luddite1811.blogspot.com/2013/06/dux-bellorum-very-british-civil-war.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I'm intrigued by One Page Rules, and a friend is using them in preference to 40K, I haven't quite grokked them yet.

      Delete
  4. I bought XR as possible ruleset for getting Star Wars figures onto the table. I will be following your progress with interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to seeing what you make of it too, Jon! If you plan any remote games with it, please let me know.

      Delete
  5. Good to see the experimentation with the rules & AVBCW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see if I get any farther, given my track record thus far... :p

      Delete
  6. 9 points a side seems pretty small judging from my experience with previous Rampant games. But it’s all about tailoring it to your desires. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm basically stuck with what I've got. There are enough figures for a larger game, but as this will be my first try I think (rather, hope) it will be enough to learn the ropes.

      Delete

  7. These XR rules seem to be all the go at the moment, folk seem to be using them for all manner of games. I’d be keen to see how they work out for you with VBCW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I picked them up. They seem to be popular with the VBCW crowd.

      Delete