Thursday, August 17, 2023

Painting a 3rd Edition Ruin

 I picked up this Warhammer 40K relic at Recon, and have been slowly assembling and painting it.

Undercoat with Chaos Black spray:

Basecoat of Army Painter Castle Grey:
I bought a GW large base brush for this, then made the mistake of using it like a drybrush. All those windows, hard to get the brush into or on them. I'll probably do a second coat.
Added a second coat, this time with a large drybrush, but like the first coat more of a rough layer. The lighting on these photos is poor enough that it's probably not noticeable; I wonder how much a lightbox costs, because the one at work is impressively useful. I will, however, have to do something like wood for the slats in the second floor.

Next a rough and heavy wash of Agrax Earthshade, with inadvertent pooling. Using this paint type takes getting used to.
I left the wooden slats untouched at this point.
A cat investigates.
My next effort was done outside, in the natural light of a Sunday afternoon. I enjoyed it, despite the heat.
A layer of Ash Grey on the upper floor. Not always successful
at avoiding the crevices...
Selective layer of Ash Grey on details, and a bit of edge
highlighting on the columns.
While idly watching some Games Workshop painting videos, I actually learned a tip that I've never heard before - and am too late to use here. When you're laying down color, don't go back over wet paint, because it's partly dry by then and the mix of dry and wet layers will result in a poor finish. So not just thin coats, but wait for the first to dry! Interesting, and something I'll definitely take care over in future.

Final pictures in better light:

The final step was to paint the wooden slats with 
Hardened Leather Speedpaint.
And a video!
I think the contrast with the floor is too stark, but I'm happy with the window detailing - which was relaxing and enjoyable. I think this is the first piece of kit-built terrain I've ever painted; it was certainly worth the attempt. I may go back and edge-highlight the rest of the jutting wall bits and possibly the windows too.

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes, the joy of watching paint dry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I haven't done batch-painting in a while, but I have a bunch of bugs to work on now...

      Delete