I picked up Space Marine this week. Partly to see if there were any solo mechanics in it (given that one side is a single miniature) and partly because it was 20+ minis and a heavy card "gameboard" for forty bucks, which is surprisingly good when we're discussing Games Workshop. The boards themselves are two for sixty bucks...
| I haven't played the videogame. |
| The packaging is surprisingly enviro-friendly; the paper envelope contains dice, for example, and plastic is saved by leaving the bases loose. (Don't let your cat in the box!) |
| Assembling the titular Space Marine. A bit complex for such a small figure, it's hard to close the space between the push-fit components. |
| The finished figure. |
![]() |
| Three Termagants, enough for the first scenario... |
![]() |
| ... which covers basic moving, shooting and armor saves. |
The rules are abbreviated:
- Both move 6".
- Marine gets two shots, hitting on 3+.
- Nids get one shot apiece, hitting on 4+.
- No wound rolls.
- Nids get 5+ armor saves.
- Marine has a 3+ save and five wounds.
The Termagants (twenty of them, from the new starter set) are far easier to build, with four parts apiece. I am thinking of building them all, prepping them for "slap-chop" painting and then using them for a paint program with Contrast. After that, maybe small games pitted against the Battle Sisters ... but that's for another day, or at the rate this is likely to go, another year... A productive day as is. See you next time.



I had the same experience with the push-fit Blitz Bowl figures. Eventually I got the gap to close, but it left serious indentations in my fingers!
ReplyDeleteI've been tempted by this set, with my son expressing a growing interest in 40k. But, I think he's more interested in the starter box with the 5 marines and 11 nids. It's priced at 65 which still seems like a good price for a GW product.
I'm tempted by the starter boxes, though I have paint and clippers - I'm more interested in the learn-as-you-go rules.
Delete