Inspired by the "slap chop" method used by many Warhammer Youtubers, I tried it with these Termagants from the Space Marine board game.
Progressively drybrushed from black to grey to white, using Chaos Black spray and Army Painter Castle Grey, Ash Grey, and Matt White:
![]() |
| The "zenithal" method left the underside and claws black, so I added a little more white. |
The end result, painted with Flesh Tearers Red, Skeleton Horde, and on one figure I did the claws in Black Templar. Basing it loosely on Hive Fleet Kraken:
| Sorry for the poor photo, left my phone at work. |
Quite aside from the poor paint job (my fault for doing it in bad light), I'm not particularly impressed by the results; not especially bright, and the Skeleton Horde in particular is much browner than I expected. Perhaps I should have thinned it down. Or drybrushed much more heavily, more likely.
I think I will try the more conventional method next of undercoating in cream - but having already undercoated in black that may not work with this lot. In general it's okay, it just doesn't "pop" as much as I hoped. The regular method may be preferable for programming. Ah well, it was worth a try at least!





Interesting to read your comments about the "slap chop" method. I didn't really get on with it either. It strikes me that it is a method that has developed to work well in the 'darker than it used to be' warhammer world. The brighter space marines and other perhaps benefit from a less muted approach. But it is all a matter of taste ultimately. We have to try these things out... don't we.
ReplyDeleteAn interesting thought. It does have a "grittier" (literally!) feel to it.
Delete