Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Errgh

I'm off sick going on four days here. Luckily not Covid, but bad enough that I'm not up to any solo gaming. A little reading, a little watching, lots of liquid and cats.

I did cut out a few new Peter Dennis patent "cross-trees."

The intent to start on a forest for the Charles S. Grant scenario. I also have lots of aquarium matting and a handful of "proper" trees, but it might look rather unsylvan in the end.

The other thing I hoped to do was repair a few WWI ships from a batch I 3D printed a few years ago.

These are some of the first things I 3D-printed at work around five years ago. I only got to run the Jutland scenario (from Junior General) once, with paper minis. These photos are from 2019:
The German High Seas Fleet (left) is drawn into a trap by
the British Grand Fleet (upper right)
BatCruRon 3 and a dozen Brit battleships.
One of BatCruRon 1 has already been lost.
Germans horribly disorganized but pounding the Brit BCs into scrap.
Anyway, I later used som models from Thingiverse to reproduce these in plastic - at half strength, so the Germans have three battle cruisers and eight battleships, the British four battlecruisers and twelve battleships. 
I even made a "travel box" for them, with measuring devices,
dice, hit-point trackers and simple QRS cards.
I left them on the flat bases leftover from the printing process, and wrote the names over whiteout. A few were snapped off by inquisitive kids, and I decided to glue them back on - only to discover that time, and possibly being left in the car, had caused many of the bases to warp.

So now I'm undecided. I could:

  • Use my label maker to make proper labels and stick those under the ships (invisible unless you pick them up, at which point repositioning is tricky)
  • Make paper tags (unseemly and jarring to my eyes on such small models).
  • "Unwarp" the bases (How?).

Suggestions welcomed.

Lastly, while looking on Facebook for those old game photos, I found that NASA has just published a role-playing game adventure, called The Lost Universe. I'll definitely be checking that out, as I need activities to go with Earth Day, the upcoming solar eclipse, etc.

Dragging myself to bed now. Until next time.

4 comments:

  1. I've seen others base ships on small rectangular bases (card/etc coloured blue?) and add the ship names onto those similar to what you have done.
    Unwarping you could try putting them in hot water to soften a bit, unbending and holding under cold water ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your thoughts. I'll try the second, as I do like the look of the original "mat" bases, but card may work if I can find something rigid/tough enough.

      Delete
  2. no help on the bases. I label my ships with tags that pop out the back, I don't find it too jarring. Feel better. 😁

    ReplyDelete