Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Painting a Tank

I've slowly painted my L6/40 light tank over the course of a few weeks. I don't tend to spend long periods painting - I distract easily and so long as I can get one step done in a day I'm satisfied. I still see progress, even if slow. But when I do manage, rarely, to complete a project, it's the best feeling in the world.

Basecoat: The Fang and Plate Mail Metal.

Shade: Strong Tone Quickshade. Obvious staining, but 
why not, on a well-used vehicle?

Highlight: Wolf Grey.

Fascist "lightning-flash" decal added.
This is the first time I've ever tried a waterslide transfer. You'd think I'd have used them for 40K, but I didn't have a conventional Space Marine chapter. Problem - both color and orientation are incorrect. But as they say in Britain, "this is your VBCW," and I'm already using a 1940 tank in 1939, so claiming that this is a variant marking is a minor offense (or offence).

I finished the tank while watching a Games Workshop "hang out and paint" video. It may sound trite, but I find it encouraging to paint "alongside" others, even if virtually and out of sync. I have great difficulty concentrating on one thing alone, so sound and sight in the background keep me from getting bored.
Crewman in Wolf Grey and Strong Tone. Barbarian Flesh;
Flag in Matt White, The Fang and Fleshtearers Red.
I found it interesting to do the flag. I decided to start with white all over, then drew blue edges to each side with a little jiggling to have the lightning flash within. Then I painted red from the outside in.
The finished vehicle, with an extra decal for aerial recognition.
In between waiting for the crewman to dry, I started on the 75mm:
Speedpaint Camo Cloak, Plate Mail Metal, and Matt Black.
The crew figures will come next. One of the VBCW fluff books suggests drab colors - brown, blue, black, etc - for civilian clothes.

Here's hoping your painting projects are going as successfully!

If interested, here is a registration link to the veteran interview I'll be doing next week: https://www.mdpls.org/event/10418513

4 comments: