As Hurricane Helene sweeps up the west coast of Florida and towards Georgia, a lot of folks are reconsidering attendance at the HMGS convention starting tomorrow in Orlando. The venue should not be hit, but about half the attendees are in the path of the storm. I'm not concerned once I get there, but I am rethinking driving up I-95 tomorrow - I don't mind rain, but 30mph gusts might be another matter. I still intend to go, but it might be smarter to miss a day and wait until Friday, by which time the storm should be in Georgia. I'm still undecided, but leaning towards going for it. A scheduling glitch at work meant they'll be shorter tomorrow than expected, but my boss declined my offer to come in, in part because I am spending some leave time for this that cannot be used after October 1!
In other news, I received my Quar: Clash of Rhyfles starter set. Plenty of nice stuff as expected, but I at once demolished the bottom of the box while trying to assemble the terrain. Unfortunately, the card is too heavy to easily cut and the sides were glued back-to-back so that some of the terrain would be plastered to the back of other terrain. So ultimately I did what I should have in the first place: printed it on cardstock. What I did successfully assemble suggests that it will be enough for the "base" size of table - 2x2 feet.
Also a few books - one on WWII aviation, one on the 82nd Airborne Division (these picked up from the donation bin at work) and one on the Seminole War that I bought last year and only found in my suitcase today as I started packing for the Hurricon trip! (I still have a book on the Tet Offensive yet to read, bought during last year's Recon convention, so this is not atypical of me.) So I'll have plenty of reading material in the evenings this time around, not counting anything else I manage to pick up.
I dunno yet whether I'll be in a fit state to have a "running commentary" on the convention as I did last time, but I still intend to take plenty of photos and notes. See you tomorrow, at the con or otherwise.
Take care of yourself down there. Quar? Seems Quar projects are popping up everywhere.
ReplyDeleteHave decided to stay home today. Yes, the Quar have been tempting me for too long...
DeleteDrive before or after but not in the storm. The traffic in a storm path should be for emergencies only. Consider it a sign for a paint dsy.
ReplyDeleteThe storm itself is far off to the west, but the driving would still be a bit hazardous, so I have put off the trip til tomorrow, when the storm will be away north. Making some terrain and reading instead.
Delete